Etihad Atmosphere - 2021/22

“Winning formula” he says. You must be a dipper. You can’t have watched that game today and thought it was a good atmosphere unless you were a deluded dipper.

No I think he’s right. They do some things well at Liverpool.

The atmosphere wasn’t off the charts. Their fans were nervous for the most of it. But we’ll hear about how good the atmosphere was because of two things - pre match and post-match. The stadium was full either side of the game - credit where it’s due. Our fans prefer to arrive 5 mins after kick off and leave 15 mins early. I don’t see the issue in calling it out?

The club, the fans, and the KOP have a set routine before kick off at Andield.

Banners and flags on the KOP, scarfs held aloft around the ground, YNWA sang, rinse and repeat at every home match.

Once the game starts, chants of Liverpool, Liverpool, quiet until a goal is scored.

Last edited:
I think we could be victims of our own success
On the pitch we’re up there with the best of the best . Off it the club have distanced it’s self from those who made the owners buy it for the reasons they did. It’s not a City problem it’s a football problem many out priced out it’s as simple as that the locals can’t afford it .
We’re not who the club want us to be it’s a simple as that as well. Blind loyalty is seeing many seats filled . As I say it’s not just a City problem it’s a football problem. The working persons game has gone. So has the atmosphere what they brought to it.

We need to reduce the top tiers further but make sure there are enough fans to fill tiers 1 and 2 every game at the price point the club needs.
How much should the cheapest tickets be to get the working people back to the club?
I pay nearly £2k for 2 season tickets. Over the season another £1.5k for other games, travel, etc.
It is not a cheap day out.

No I think he’s right. They do some things well at Liverpool.

The atmosphere wasn’t off the charts. Their fans were nervous for the most of it. But we’ll hear about how good the atmosphere was because of two things - pre match and post-match. The stadium was full either side of the game - credit where it’s due. Our fans prefer to arrive 5 mins after kick off and leave 15 mins early. I don’t see the issue in calling it out?
To my recollection our ground was full pre and post match at our recent derby. Different rules apply for different games.

I’ve no idea if Anfield was the same as it was today for their recent routine win against Watford but I suspect it wasn’t and I strongly suspect that if the atmospheres for our respective home games against Watford were compared then ours would top theirs.

So comparing like for like it would appear that City have hit on the “winning formula” and stevie can hopefully take some solace from that

Last night I took my son to see Saint Etienne (our French team, we're based in France, OK?) play Monaco. They (we, sort of) lost 1-4.

In any case, ask anyone in France to name the grounds with the best atmosphere. And Saint Etienne will be in the top five.

Thing is, their fans (incidentally, there are no away fans) do this sort of constant-jumping-up-and-down-non-stop-drone-singing-banner-waving-big-flag-revealing-loud-speaker-happy-clappy-you-will-sing-or-else thing to the extent that it's hard to know whether it's useful or counter-productive to the players.

When Watford scored yesterday, it seemed (to judge by my stream) to go silent in the stadium.

When Monaco scored yesterday... nothing changed. Those who were already 'doing the conga', just... carried on. Literally carried on. No pause. No audible intake of breath. No what-the-f**k-was-that. Just carried on. You wouldn't have known that the other team had scored.

In other words, it's a sort of 'turn-on-the-tap' kind of 'atmosphere' that I simply don't recognize. I hate it.

It's impressive if you're a first-time-visitor to the ground. First time I went to see Marseille (Drogba and Mido's debut!) was the same. OM's (home) fans behind each goal were competing with each other. It's tribal. They eventually do this sort of call-and-repeat thing. Then everyone joins in on cue. Whole place joins in and jumps up and down. But the whole thing's very choreographed. Phoney.

I would say it's not a real atmosphere if it's being piped in. It's the same thing every week. The flags that are held up are passed back down to the front where they are collected and (presumably) handed back to fans the following week.

Real atmosphere for me is about other things. It'll mean different things for everyone, of course.

Just be careful what you wish for. Just saying...

Last night I took my son to see Saint Etienne (our French team, we're based in France, OK?) play Monaco. They (we, sort of) lost 1-4.

In any case, ask anyone in France to name the grounds with the best atmosphere. And Saint Etienne will be in the top five.

Thing is, their fans (incidentally, there are no away fans) do this sort of constant-jumping-up-and-down-non-stop-drone-singing-banner-waving-big-flag-revealing-loud-speaker-happy-clappy-you-will-sing-or-else thing to the extent that it's hard to know whether it's useful or counter-productive to the players.

When Watford scored yesterday, it seemed (to judge by my stream) to go silent in the stadium.

When Monaco scored yesterday... nothing changed. Those who were already 'doing the conga', just... carried on. Literally carried on. No pause. No audible intake of breath. No what-the-f**k-was-that. Just carried on. You wouldn't have known that the other team had scored.

In other words, it's a sort of 'turn-on-the-tap' kind of 'atmosphere' that I simply don't recognize. I hate it.

It's impressive if you're a first-time-visitor to the ground. First time I went to see Marseille (Drogba and Mido's debut!) was the same. OM's (home) fans behind each goal were competing with each other. It's tribal. They eventually do this sort of call-and-repeat thing. Then everyone joins in on cue. Whole place joins in and jumps up and down. But the whole thing's very choreographed. Phoney.

I would say it's not a real atmosphere if it's being piped in. It's the same thing every week. The flags that are held up are passed back down to the front where they are collected and (presumably) handed back to fans the following week.

Real atmosphere for me is about other things. It'll mean different things for everyone, of course.

Just be careful what you wish for. Just saying...
Very good post.

So did I - as a guest in the Tunnel Club (check my previous posts slagging off the TC - so yes - massive hypocrite - but my god the food was nice!!)...so an interesting perspective. I was quite literally on the single row above the tunnel, a few seats behind Kyle Walker. So, as good as what the players hear from the bench. And like @Didsbury Dave says - it was utterly shite.

No excuses at all for this one, and I am out of trying to work out why.

Why is it when I go away (which I do, and have done for decades for almost every game, before I am accused of being a plastic) the pissed-up concourse is loud and proud - and for most away (Leicester, for example, very early this season in particular for some reason was fantastic - 90mins of non stop singing) we are excellent - but come back home, and despite the efforts of the SS, no one else seems to give a flying fuck?

Does it matter? The players - from watching them close up, don't seem to give a fuck. As proved playing in empty stadiums. They just want their £200K a week. Some, in fairness, make an effort to clap the 7 fans left at full time, and on away days, Pep seems to make sure they come over (although the days of players like Zaba, Vinnie and Hart, who would make a special effort, have long gone). But others just head down the tunnel - and who can blame them when there is no-one left in the stadium?

So I don't think it particularly matters for the players (expect for maybe the lift it gives the bin dippers playing into the Kop on a European night), and I do think there is a bit in every City fan of a certain age that might be more vocal when we are fighting relegation against Port Vale, or chasing an improbable Cup come back against clubs we used to think as 'giants'. For all the success, all the money, all the spectacular stars of recent years, is there a significant part of our support who are just so damaged, that what only really excites is spontaneous, unlikely, 'back against the wall' football, rather than the magnificent machine we watch weekly now?

I have had to explore pseudo-psychology, because I am out of options. What else can explain the difference between the atmosphere at Wembley in 1999 and that at the Semi-Final two weeks ago?

And finally...I think it does matter. It matters to me. I go to football as my weekly therapy, to disengage from the all the stresses and bollocks of daily life - and I like to shout and sing and feel part of a community I cherish. It's just a shame that I can now only really get that therapy at the occasional away game...
I was in the Tunnel Club too, right behind you!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.