Etihad Stadium?

Cambridgeblue said:
Whitterz said:
Hey Guys, just wondering, do you think the COMS will be renamed ' The ETIHAD Stadium '

When i read the report that Etihad had become our sponsor, I sort of read between the lines about something to do with the Stadium ?

Ive just searched on google.com and a few stadiu have been renamed Etihad stadum!

What you think ? I personlly think it sounds better than ' The city of manchester stadium ' or ' eastlands '

There's already an Etihad stadium in Australia so I think it would be a little confusing if there were two...

I know - and it must be a nightmare for the Geordies who attempt their first ever home game and end up at St. James Park - EXETER!!!!

Incidentally, how is "Etihad" pronounced??

I've googled it and am still none the wiser!!

chrishull said:
No.

It's the City of Manchester Stadium, and I for one am proud of that.

Spot on, why would we wanna name our stadium after a foriegn airline instead?

sweenyuk said:
That just simply states that the football club linking up with Ethihad will benefit Manchester as a city, and strengthen whatever links the city currently has with Abu Dhabi. Manchester (probably off the back of the takeover of the football club) has forged links with Abu Dhabi, it's these links he's referring to. Manchester City Council haven't been sponsored by Ethihad, Manchester City Football Club have.

at what point does the club feature in the following sentance?

The Abu Dhabi partnership with the city is hugely important and one which will bring significant benefits to everyone associated with Manchester

Bernstein is talking about a partnership between Abu Dhabi and the City of Manachester, not Manchester City Football Club. Abu Dhabi are funding numerous regeneration schemes in Manchester and improved transport links as part of their partneship with the City of Manchester and their use of the stadium and grounds owned by the council
What does any of that have to do with changing the stadium name to Ethihad? I never said the city of Manchester didn't have links with Abu Dhabi, I said the City of Manchester hadn't been sponsored by Ethihad and, as such, Ethihad can't change the stadium name.

You're the one who linked that article to my original point, if you're now saying you were talking about links between the City of Manchester and Abu Dhabi I'd ask why you linked in the first place, it was irrelevant when you consider the original point of the thread.

Unless our owners buy the stadium from the council it will stay as COMs although most commentators are calling it Eastlands. It would be nice to formally recognise Anna Connell somewhere either a stand named after her would be nice. If I had my way, would name one of the streets close by Maine Road and Kippax street, but that ain't going to happen.

NQT said:
Matty said:
The stadium is owned by Manchester City Council so any name used is entirely up to them, Ethihad are only sponsors of Manchester City Football Club so have no rights to rename the stadium.

Who owns the MEN arena?

its still the NYNEX to me

DannyBoy2890 said:
The etihad stadium already exists in Australia.
The state of origin was played there the other day.
That's right. Good game, good game.

IMO COMS fits into City's plans to brand / promote City around..."City" (if I've understood Cook's comments and what is actually happening viz. the museum, plans to do-up COMS to be more like home, that poll they did in The States, the new kits, plans to bring back the old badge etc.). "ETIHAD" will get enough exposure simply by being the sponsors, and TV commentators encouraged through producer pressure (as they are...) to always say the right tag-lines. I expect "Eastlands" to slowly fade away as journalists of all stripes get the message...you're messing with our attempt at global branding (and if you continue, you're off the list, you're not coming in), and they ARE every single time they say "Eastlands".

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.