Europa League Qualifying Question

Matty

This isn't Facebook, there will be no status updat
Ok, so Liverpool have won the Carling Cup, and as such have qualified for next seasons Europa League. However, I have a question:-

Assuming Liverpool also win the FA Cup (not out of the question given City, United and Arsenal have all been knocked out already) and that they fail to make the top 4 (again not out of the question, they won't catch City, or United, or Spurs, and my money would be on Chelsea to get the 4th spot), which Europe Qualifying spot do they take?

Do they take the Carling Cup spot, thus giving the FA Cup runner up a qualifying spot.

Do they take the FA Cup spot, thus giving the Premiership an additional spot (5th and 6th would therefore qualify, or potentially 7th if Liverpool finish in 5th or 6th).

Any clue?

I believe the domestic Cup Winners slot (FA Cup) is the "senior" one in the eyes of UEFA for the Europa League so Liverpool would get that place and the Carling place would go to the next league position.

Think I read somewhere that the League spot takes preference, so FA Cup runners up would get into the Europa and with the rules on League Cup being different it would create a futher League spot.

the fa cup runners up will always get a place if the winners have already qualified.

that will leave one edditional europa pleace which will go on league position - eg: two highest placed teams not already qualified for europe will get the positions (5th and a.nother)

eshiers1 said:
the fa cup runners up will always get a place if the winners have already qualified.

that will leave one edditional europa pleace which will go on league position - eg: two highest placed teams not already qualified for europe will get the positions (5th and a.nother)
not true - the runners up only get the Europa League place if the winners get in to the Champions League (as Stoke did) - you may recall last season there was discussion on Stoke rolling over in the league game in May to ENSURE we got a Champions League spot.

I think, that if the FA Cup winners only have a Europa League place, then the additional Europa League place goes to the next team down in the league.

Here's another question;- If a forward shoots and a defender tries to save it by handball on the line but it still goes in, I know the goal is awarded but is the defender sent off?

blue b4 the moon said:
Think I read somewhere that the League spot takes preference, so FA Cup runners up would get into the Europa and with the rules on League Cup being different it would create a futher League spot.
This I reckon.

lancs blue said:
I believe the domestic Cup Winners slot (FA Cup) is the "senior" one in the eyes of UEFA for the Europa League so Liverpool would get that place and the Carling place would go to the next league position.

This. It would be nonsensical for the rules to force you to enter an earlier round, especially solely based on the month of the year the league cup is played in (consider - if the FA cup came first in the calendar we wouldn't have this question to ponder). The order of precedence is FA cup-league placing-league cup in that order.

GAZZA said:
Here's another question;- If a forward shoots and a defender tries to save it by handball on the line but it still goes in, I know the goal is awarded but is the defender sent off?

No he doesn't because he didn't prevent the goal. He does get a yellow for unsportsmanlike conduct though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.