European Span of Success

Gary James

Each year I update my table showing the gap between a club's first major trophy success and their most recent. City, of course, are highly placed in the table so feel free to use this when talking with anyone who doesn't seem to understand European football history:

Last year some (mostly Arsenal fans!) were upset that their team's Fairs Cup (not a UEFA competition & it had some odd rules!) were excluded, so I also have a table there including that competition. I also explain some of the odd rules too - again, well worth remembering or referring to when talking with a fan who goes on about that competition success as if somehow it equates to winning the UEFA Cup. It doesn't!
Earlier I also updated the span of success for English clubs, including major domestic trophies and European ones. City are second on this table:

Obviously, neither table talks about how many successes a club has had but they both gave an indication of trophy-winning history. Some still wrongly claim that City have 'no history' and they support teams that didn't win a major trophy until decades (in some cases) after City's first. Ah well! Use however you see fit.

No history for me is just banter, tribalism. They know its bollocks but they know it triggers fans. So I don't engage with it. Nice to know though and some surprising names in there.

No history for me is just banter, tribalism. They know its bollocks but they know it triggers fans. So I don't engage with it. Nice to know though and some surprising names in there.
I used to think 'no history' was simply banter but I attend a lot of academic conferences where even some supposedly knowledgeable academics who study sport and teach on it trot out the same old inaccuracies. I was recently told by someone in an influential footballing position - trot out the same myths and they soon become facts. Important to challenge before these myths become perceived as facts - like the Emptyhad nonsense too.

They don't know it's bollocks, they believe it.

I love telling Liverpool fans that we won a European trophy before they did. The look on their faces is priceless.

Regarding the Fairs Cup, it was a weird tournament. In the early years it two up to three seasons to complete and had a ‘combined’ London team. There was also a combined Barcelona team with one player from Espanyol.There was a limit of one club per City.

Initially it had the whiff of a Mickey Mouse tournament but became more conventional before it was replaced by the UEFA Cup.

I am unsure if United, or for that matter Nottingham Forest, would have been eligible to enter.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.