European Super League?

sam-caddick said:
Maldeika said:
I do not think that will happen. It will cheapen the interest in any national league if the big teams are out of it. And the bigger clubs already have their European Competiton. Like this you have both - the regional and country aspect with the EPL, La Liga and the Bundesliga - and you have your European Competition. What I think might happen is that some minor leagues might go together with others - like the Belgian and the Netherland League or maybe Portugal and Spain. But I do not think that the EPL or the Bundesliga clubs are interested into an Europa Super League.

I don't know mate, Barcelona and Madrid by some accounts want to be out of La Liga and in a competititon where there is a better balance of competition, but if they actually distrubuted their TV money more equally then they might have a more competative league, but let's face it, they are not going to give that money up, they want more.

The same applies to PSG and Monaco, it will get to a point when PSG and Monaco become too good and too rich for the French Ligue 1.

There is hardly any money in Italy anymore, so if Juve for example could match up finances with the other big boys they would, but they would have to join a Super League to make it happen.

Bayern would probably be in favour of it as well.

This league will happen mate, the money and even more increased brand exposure is what top business's desire, a Super League makes that reality.

Sorry state of affairs for the game, but money rules all.
Barcelona and Madrid can all do one to be perfectly honest. If they want better competition in their league, maybe they should think about being less greedy and think more about fair distribution of money.

I'm all against this Super League and hope it never comes to fruition.

However, the European Club Association, which represents 214 leading European clubs from across the continent, said that no such plans had been discussed.

"The European Club Association (ECA) has taken note of comments made today (Thursday) regarding the alleged creation of a European Super League in 2018," it said in a statement.

"ECA underlines that such an idea was never discussed within the association and never figured on any meeting agenda. ECA is very happy with the current European club competitions."

ECA chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said: "Our European Super League is the UEFA Champions League! We are very happy with the current competitions and our extremely fruitful collaboration with UEFA.

"We will continue to work together with UEFA, and this beyond 2018."

Football will die if this happened but I can see it happening. I would not support a City team in European super league. The reason the Champions league is so popular is the fact that the big teams from different countries rarely play eachother, in fact it's the only competition where they can play eachother, it's the Christmas day every day analogy. People would soon tire after the 15th weekend of 10 blockbuster fixtures. I doubt City would be invited anyway, they wouldn't want two teams from Manchester as well as London and they wouldn't want 5 teams as I am sure the dippers will be invited in. It would be:

United
Liverpool
Chelsea
Arsenal

Barcelona
Real
Valencia

Dortmund
Bayern
Schalke

PSG
Monaco

Juve
Ac Milan
Napoli

Porto
Benfica

Zenit
Shakhter

Galatasaray

They will try and set up regional teams and then try and get everyone in that area to back that team and forget about their own clubs, much like they have done on a much smaller scale with Welsh rugby.

Benarbia_is_god said:
Football will die if this happened but I can see it happening. I would not support a City team in European super league. The reason the Champions league is so popular is the fact that the big teams from different countries rarely play eachother, in fact it's the only competition where they can play eachother, it's the Christmas day every day analogy. People would soon tire after the 15th weekend of 10 blockbuster fixtures. I doubt City would be invited anyway, they wouldn't want two teams from Manchester as well as London and they wouldn't want 5 teams as I am sure the dippers will be invited in. It would be:

United
Liverpool
Chelsea
Arsenal

Barcelona
Real
Valencia

Dortmund
Bayern
Schalke

PSG
Monaco

Juve
Ac Milan
Napoli

Porto
Benfica

Zenit
Shakhter

Galatasaray

They will try and set up regional teams and then try and get everyone in that area to back that team and forget about their own clubs, much like they have done on a much smaller scale with Welsh rugby.
It's not going to happen anyway this crap comes up every few years normally something to do with a new deal or trying to get one, and in the remote chance that it did ever happen City would be invited as would spuds

££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

It's the way of the world nowadays. We are ruled by business in every walk of life. Today is the last day of the local sham consultation period for a massive housing expansion driven by and for business with the connivance of the District Council. I give up.

sam-caddick said:
The same applies to PSG and Monaco, it will get to a point when PSG and Monaco become too good and too rich for the French Ligue 1.

There is hardly any money in Italy anymore, so if Juve for example could match up finances with the other big boys they would, but they would have to join a Super League to make it happen.

Bayern would probably be in favour of it as well.

This league will happen mate, the money and even more increased brand exposure is what top business's desire, a Super League makes that reality.

Sorry state of affairs for the game, but money rules all.

As I said above Bayern are 100% against it, "The CL is our super league" was the wording in yesterday's statement.<br /><br />-- Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:07 am --<br /><br />
sam-caddick said:
Problem is though mate, if Madrid, Barca, Galatasaray, PSG, Monaco, Juve, Milan, Porto, Benfica to name a few all decide they want a league and go ahead with it then the Bundesliga teams and the Premiership teams will be forced to join because they will be left behind financially.

If there is a super league with no English or German teams involved there will be no European ties as the CL will be scrapped, they would have to create an England v Germany competition or something.

The problem is those clubs I stated in my opinion would all definitely go ahead and agree with a super league, their respective leagues are nowhere near as balanced and stable as the Premiership or Bundesliga so therefore will all want to break away for increased competition and a nice pay day.

I do think it will the English and Germans being at the forefront in going against this league though.

If two of the big three leagues opted out it would be a non-starter in anycase.

sam-caddick said:
If there is a super league with no English or German teams involved there will be no European ties as the CL will be scrapped, they would have to create an England v Germany competition or something.

The problem is those clubs I stated in my opinion would all definitely go ahead and agree with a super league, their respective leagues are nowhere near as balanced and stable as the Premiership or Bundesliga so therefore will all want to break away for increased competition and a nice pay day.

I do think it will the English and Germans being at the forefront in going against this league though.
With the way the leagues are developing financially, I highly doubt that a Super League without English and German teams would attract comparable money to the Champions League. Also it'll most likely lead to the participating clubs being excluded from UEFA/FIFA and the players at those clubs will become not eligible for the world cup and euros. The top clubs need the players to be superstars and perform at the most important competitions in the world to make a lot of money on the back of their team.

Also, Barca and Real are owned by club members / fans as well and the Spanish/Catalans are very proud people who love their domestic competitions, they even love their domestic supercup and make it an actual competitive game not a glorified friendly like the charity shield. There's no way that the members would accept to be part of a super league without a domestic competiton as well and without facing some of the big clubs of their proud history. Bayern vs Real Madrid for example is the most played game in the history of the Champions League/European Club. They won't accept not playing them, just because the club could make even more money.

The clubs who could be part of a European Super League are imo mainly newly rich clubs that believe they are already too good for their own league, none of the English and German clubs think that way. And that was never the case in Italy and Spain either, even when few teams dominated the league for years/decades. PSG is the perfect example of a club who would love to be part of a bigger league (just remember some of Leonardo's comments last season) and it's not surprising that rumours started at Galatasaray, a club who also now thinks they are too big for the Turkish league after signing a few past their best big names.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.