Everton mints

i have learned to like everton. i don t care what anyone else thinks either. they were second best in their city, always short of cash but manage to put together solid teams (will a small squad). i really hope they would win an FA cup again....but i feel the same way for newcastle. (both having lost finals)

City 1 Chelsea 1 1971 said:
I was in the Gwladys Street for the 0-0 at the end of the 86-87 season. It virtually condemned us to relegation, but it stopped Everton from being crowned champions until the following week.
Moyes has done a good job, but the Evertonians should be looking a tthemselves rather than blaming City. They had their chance to move to a new stadium, but they blew it.

I dont really understand why you lot dislike us so much. We are (well at least were) similar clubs having to deal with similar problems. No money (were not are) and bigger neighbours

I dont dislike City. I dont much like anyone other than Everton but I have only hatred for Utd and Liverpool and while I (like probably every fan of every other club) am a bit jealous Id sooner you were winning things than Utd.

Also am I right in thinking your problem with Moyes is that he kicked up a big fuss about Lescott and got us more money?? Isnt that his job?? He got his employers another 5-10M?? Thats good work isnt it?

My dad's mate used to take me to Everton when City were away in the 80's. Cracking team with Southall, Sheedy, Steven, Reid, Sharp, Bracewell, Gray etc. Top kit the Hafnia one too. Remember watching then in the cup winners cup final and hoping they'd win.

I also sat in my seat and cried when Lineker scored a hat trick and we lost 4-0. Redmond stood on the ball for his third and Lineker was shaking his head in disbelief as to how easy it was! My first City away at my second favourite team and we got hammered - little did I know that loads worse was to follow for the next 20 years!

All that being said, I've found the Everton fans to be pretty bitter and unpleasant over recent years - the stand to the left of the away end is packed with half wits screaming at us for 90 mins in front of their kids. Then again, we've our fair share of those I suppose...

Bring back the woman chucking mints into the crowd before kick off - a golden age where players were local working class lads and fans kicked fuck out of each other outside...!

J4FOW said:
Bring back the woman chucking mints into the crowd before kick off - a golden age where players were local working class lads and fans kicked fuck out of each other outside...!
Those were the days!!

City 1 Chelsea 1 1971 said:
I was in the Gwladys Street for the 0-0 at the end of the 86-87 season. It virtually condemned us to relegation, but it stopped Everton from being crowned champions until the following week.
Moyes has done a good job, but the Evertonians should be looking a tthemselves rather than blaming City. They had their chance to move to a new stadium, but they blew it.
The City fans were in fine voice that afternoon.

I remember one guy singing "I've got a song that'll get on your nerves" over and over for most of the game!

I seem to recall Neville Southall getting a lot of stick from the City end too.

Gareth1979 said:
I dont really understand why you lot dislike us so much. We are (well at least were) similar clubs having to deal with similar problems. No money (were not are) and bigger neighbours

I dont dislike City. I dont much like anyone other than Everton but I have only hatred for Utd and Liverpool and while I (like probably every fan of every other club) am a bit jealous Id sooner you were winning things than Utd.

Also am I right in thinking your problem with Moyes is that he kicked up a big fuss about Lescott and got us more money?? Isnt that his job?? He got his employers another 5-10M?? Thats good work isnt it?
I think in terms of Moyes it was his subsequent attitude which manifested itself particularly in his unbridled joy whenever Everton beat us after the Lescott transfer. He seemed to take far more joy in that than any other victory. It seemed strange behaviour given the fact that up to recently it was widely held that Eveton got the better end of the deal.

In more general terms I would say City fans' dislike of Everton falls into two broad categories:

Firstly I would say that I know a few Evertonians and I would say that your feelings of goodwill towards our club are not mirrored throughout your support. Some are genuinely resentful. I make no particular criticism of that. Many of our supporters would have been the same if the boot was on the other foot. No-one can seriously claim that good fortune in football, especially when it comes to finances, is handed out in an even handed manner and on that basis there are always going it be inevitable resentments. It should comfort these Toffee supporters that it was only going to be City who were going to get the Abu Dhabi investment for a number of reasons - not least the possibility of taking on the biggest global sporting brand in their own territory - but I would suspect that fact would merely stoke the fires of resentment. On the basis of the undercurrent of resentment it is unrealistic to expect this not to be reciprocated to some extent. This is football fans we are talking about here!

Secondly many City fans' experiences of visits to Goodison over the years has been less than pleasant. The trip from Lime Street to the ground has many tales of ambushes and kickings. The FA Cup Quarter Final in 1981 and the League Cup Quarter Final in 1987 are both examples of games where there was a great deal of extra-curricular activity. Again, this is not going to be forgotten easily by those on the receiving end.

I think there has been a thawing from many City fans since you drew 4-4 at Old Trafford. Up to that point there was a perception from many City fans, myself included, that your team didn't put its usual 90 minutes of toil in against united, evidenced by your appalling record (especially at home) and Moyes' pally relationship with Ferguson, in stark contrast with the antipathy that existed with Mancini.

Like you say we have a lot that ties us together and I for one would hope that there is an improvement in relations between our two clubs moving forward. I think it would reflect poorly on City if they started thinking they were too good to have meaningful relationships with clubs they were peers with only a few short years ago.

Good luck for the rest of the season - well most of it :-)

Bluekiwi said:
J4FOW said:
Those were the days!!

The toffee lady still does this before every match :p

Never had a problem with Everton. My mate is a fan tho I suppose. I've sat in the home end watching us countless times and never had trouble - even once when they were aware I was City due to a slip from my pissed mate..

Everton are okay, better than the Scum and the RedDippers.

Okay, there are issues between Mancini and Moyes but that happens all the time.

They have a good traditional stadium (not the best I agree) plus they (undoubtedly) helped us win the title. Always will have respect for them!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.