FA CUP how would you revamp it

MCFC BOB said:
mat said:
1. All teams must play their best sides. Any team found playing weakened teams will automatically lose 3-0

2. All teams play from round one giving non league sides to oppertunity to earn some much needed money off the so called big boys.

3. Should a premier league side draw a non league side at home. 75% of gate revenue will be given to the non-league side.

4. The semi finals will be played at neutral stadiums nearest the competitors inclusive of all league grounds.

I.E Chelsea V Everton - Villa Park

Rags V Bolton - Eastlands

5. The winner will be entered into either the europa league or champions league.
How would you judge what a weakened team is?

I think it would be blatantly obvious to be honest.

mat said:
MCFC BOB said:
How would you judge what a weakened team is?

I think it would be blatantly obvious to be honest.
Given

Zabaleta
Touré
Boyata
Richards

Vieira
Milner
Silva

Tevez
Balotelli
Jo

We'd be punished for playing this team when it's perfectly capable of beating the opposition. It would be too difficult to distinguish. With all due repsect, mat, I don't see how it would improve anything..

To all those suggesting (or thinking) that the winner should enter the Champs League, I'll point out this: you know all those repeated threads in the City forum saying "if Spurs/Chelsea win the Champs League, we can't qualify from 4th"? Well under this system, we wouldn't qualify from 3rd either. Imagine a league where there were only two league qualification places for the Champs League to compete for...admittedly it wouldn't happen every year, but it would happen...

Also, imagine if, say, Brighton and Hove Albion won the cup and entered the Champs League. I have nothing against B&HA but for all those who say that the Europa League is a mickey mouse cup with little excitement because it doesn't have the top teams...well I think you'd be hard-pressed to defend B&HA playing Barca and supposedly being one of the teams in the tournament to defend England's reputation, based off a couple of lucky wins the previous season...

Danamy said:
Bring back the good old FA Cup weekend when all ties are played on a Saturday KO 15.00hrs.

Fed up with these lunchtime and tea time Kick Offs (Saturday or Sunday)

A great shout but it won't happen.
Go back to neutral venues for semi final, give fans more tickets for the final, throw itv off the gantry.
Everything else leave well alone.

Falastur said:
To all those suggesting (or thinking) that the winner should enter the Champs League, I'll point out this: you know all those repeated threads in the City forum saying "if Spurs/Chelsea win the Champs League, we can't qualify from 4th"? Well under this system, we wouldn't qualify from 3rd either. Imagine a league where there were only two league qualification places for the Champs League to compete for...admittedly it wouldn't happen every year, but it would happen...

Also, imagine if, say, Brighton and Hove Albion won the cup and entered the Champs League. I have nothing against B&HA but for all those who say that the Europa League is a mickey mouse cup with little excitement because it doesn't have the top teams...well I think you'd be hard-pressed to defend B&HA playing Barca and supposedly being one of the teams in the tournament to defend England's reputation, based off a couple of lucky wins the previous season...

I see what your saying but if the prize of champions league football was given to the cup winner the importance of the cup would shoot up and it would make it less likely that a Brighton or a Cardiff could get that far because the top teams simply wouldn't allow themselves to blow the big opportunity of securing champions league.

My argument for given the spot to the cup winner is simply that right now there is more prestige and reward for finishing in 4th place than winning a cup. Take away qualifaction for champions league from the equation and ask yourself what would you rather your team did, came 5-6th and won the FA cup, or came 4th and win nothing? In fact im sure some people even with qualifaction would say the FA cup. The cups significiance has dropped with the importance of getting 4th because it means come the end of the season teams are playing for that 4th spot rather than setting their eyes on winning something. Give the cup winner Champions league football and im sure it would dramatically change.

And say a Brighton or team of that ilk did qualify, it would give teams like them the vague hope that it is possible to play in Europe (albeit a minor miracle would have to occur) rather than right now it is something they couldn't even dream of. Would it be so bad if maybe in one season out of fifteen a smaller team did win the FA cup and we had 3 top prem teams in Europe with one smaller one? I don't think so.

semi finals at neutral grounds. It will not happen. Most teams these days are more concerned about staying in the Prem as the cup will go to one of the top six or so every year.

ancoats said:
my shout

if you are the winning fa cup team from the season before last say arsenal win the fa cup this season than next season in round 3 they have to defend the cup in each round meaning i.e lets say oldham beat them in round 3 then oldham are the cup holders till they lose in the other rounds then the team that beats them are the cups holders

it would be like the golden ticket draw if you get the cup holders
and if you can hold on to the cup for 3 years or 3 finals than a special gold fa cup will be made to keep forever also the uefa europa league spot would only stand for the final winners like its is now

You've been drinking havent you matey??<br /><br />-- Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:26 am --<br /><br />
de niro said:
Danamy said:
Bring back the good old FA Cup weekend when all ties are played on a Saturday KO 15.00hrs.

Fed up with these lunchtime and tea time Kick Offs (Saturday or Sunday)

A great shout but it won't happen.
Go back to neutral venues for semi final, give fans more tickets for the final, throw itv off the gantry.
Everything else leave well alone.

Where do you stand on laced casey's Bill :-)

I don't think there's too much wrong with the FA Cup, so I'd be inclined to leave it as it is.

Perhaps the one change would be to ensure each game has a result by going to extra time and penalties, thus avoiding replays in an already crowded fixture list.

I would like to see some changes to the Football League (Carling) Cup though.

How about throwing it open to every League team in Britain?

Phill said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
Wembley is as neutral as it gets

Wembley is not neutral if it is City v Arsenal or City v West Ham.
Neutral is a venue (roughly) half way between each competing club. The cockney's get it all. As always......

trust me neutral does not mean somewhere in the middle, look it up in the dictionary. Its got nothing to do with london biased either has it. As Cardiff would of been a very poor choice for the years Wembley wasnt about.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.