FA Cup Quarter Final v Everton

SWSB said:
one intriguing thing from that game v Everton(h)was the attendance.The ground held 52,500 but they gave the attendance as 52,532 or something like that.Great days thanks to John Bond.

And that figure doesn`t include the pole vaulters, hurdlers & double clickers....
it was rammed in there that night!!

DAKOVICH said:
SWSB said:
one intriguing thing from that game v Everton(h)was the attendance.The ground held 52,500 but they gave the attendance as 52,532 or something like that.Great days thanks to John Bond.

And that figure doesn`t include the pole vaulters, hurdlers & double clickers....
it was rammed in there that night!!
I thought the capacity was 52,800? Anyhow, I was in the North Stand that night in my usual seat (block P). That area was full of blue dippers. However, fair do's; I had no problem with them, even when I was going mental whenever we scored. And at the end of the game, they wished us well in the semi. Can't speak for what was going on in the kippax! I don't think I ever saw the ground as packed as it was that night, even for derby games. A fantastic night!

HardyBarlow said:
Mothball said:
The best atmosphere i have ever experienced at Maine Road,Replay against Everton also the biggest crowd i have been in at Maine Road i think there was 52,000 there and old place rocked that night as we won 3-1.Just a reminder for some of our younger fans that we have actually won a Quarter final!!!!

I think this is now also a reminder to our not so young fans....I'm 33, nearly 34.

Still a spring chicken yet Hardy lad!!!! Was 12 at the time an dbelieve you & me the ground rocked that night,would be nice to see a similar atmosphere against Hamburg

Mothball said:
HardyBarlow said:
Mothball said:
The best atmosphere i have ever experienced at Maine Road,Replay against Everton also the biggest crowd i have been in at Maine Road i think there was 52,000 there and old place rocked that night as we won 3-1.Just a reminder for some of our younger fans that we have actually won a Quarter final!!!!

I think this is now also a reminder to our not so young fans....I'm 33, nearly 34.

Still a spring chicken yet Hardy lad!!!! Was 12 at the time an dbelieve you & me the ground rocked that night,would be nice to see a similar atmosphere against Hamburg

Don't get atmosphere's like that any more sad to say. If we progress to the semi we might just get near it though!

I was 14 Years old and remember being carried along by the crowd in the Kippax and the place exploding when Gladys Power scored the third at the North Stand end, Kin fantastic night! I miss nights like that

I remember that night like it was yesterday...

Me and my Dad sat on about the second row of the then 'uncovered' J Block.

It pissed it down all night. Sat with bin bags over us to keep us dry but it didn't work. Ended up freezing cold and pissed wet thorugh but didn't care one bit.

Great night....just a shame it was so bloody long ago!!!

I was in the Platt Lane. I missed a goal, think it was Everton's, as we left early.

Even though we left early we got stuck in the Platt Lane Methodist car park for ages. As an 11 year old, I was entertained by mobs of scousers racing past being pursued by baying mobs.

Is there any footage out there of this game?

Was at both legs against Everton and have only vague memories of the home match, probably because i was sat next to my old man who had the same seat for over 40 years in the main stand and although the view was superb...just along from the director's box (had a bird's eye view of the time john bond tried a quick route to the dressing room and leapt down from his seat in the box into the tunnel, only to slip on his crododile shoes and make a complete arse of himself )

But I remember the power equaliser running onto the ball and the feeling as it hit the net like it was yesterday ( one of my favourites power, also a subject for the boo boys for a time.) Driving home, it really felt like there was nothing to stop us from reaching wembley. Indeed i can remember at that time, both in the cup runs and in the league, the sheer disbelief as we moved from a relegation threatened shambles to a team full of attacking verve and goalscoring threat.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.