"Farewell Mario: The Firework In Blue"

ElanJo said:
Good article, Toma

Feel weird about Mario leaving.

Like most amicable breakups, you know it's the right thing to do but there's still some sadness there.

Gonna miss the little rascal even tho I know I shouldn't :(

Wholeheartedly agree. I feel like I did when our school year broke up at 16 and everyone went their separate ways; there were some good-for-nothings among us but by-heck you missed them!

Mario was part of the family, our family, who will forever be linked with our club's re-birth.

God bless him.

inchy14 said:
A man of the match performance in Manchester City’s first cup final in living memory, a goal celebration that will be forever cherished, and setting up a goal back in May that reduced me and my kin to blub out a lifetime of hurt.

Quality, and you've summed up exactly how i feel.

And me, more reason though to sit back and think what might have been.he could have been so much more, it was there on a plate for him to be a world star at the club everyone was talking about, a club that has and will continue to change the football landscape.

Thanks Mario, you helped us more than people think, but you most definitely missed a trick.

A very well written piece. I've been critical but I too have been feeling a very strange sense of sadness this week even though I wanted the move to be made. The strangest was watching the Milan fans dancing and celebrating in the street - for a flickering second it felt not unlike seeing an old girlfriend out with her new man.. a touch angry, a touch sad, a touch uncomfortable.

I will say this though; for me, I never quite got the worshipfulness that he stirred up in others. And I don't fall into the category the author mentioned of up-tight folks who don't like the off the field antics.. I'm fine with that, my issue was always on the field stuff. Things I could see, such as diving, dirty challenges, giving an attitude to Mancini, selfish shots where possession/passing would better serve, basically a general refusal to "get on with it".. As mercurial as Mario is, he simply had to come second to the God of Manchester City in my mind to be fully appreciated and loved and admired. All his madness had to be sacrificed at the altar of helping the team if he was ever going to have me be truly on board, worshipping and captivated.

What we admire in sport and in pro athletes can be very subjective, as Mario has taught us better than anyone. I know this is not a thread about comparing. But for me, I save the true unabashed adulation for the guys like Vinny and Zab and Aguero.. the guys who stay up when they could dive, realize that the club is more than the sum of an individual player or two, sacrifice themselves every chance they get, and perhaps most importantly, show a constant respect for their opponents and the game itself.

In short, I seem to have this "Mario-love" that the author and so many others have said was stirred up in them for the first time in a long time, for Vinny and Zab and Aguero, for that type of player. Will miss Mario, but will know City made the right move for now.

Not if i already posted, but this is brilliant. well said Mario

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O283MijqqxU&feature=share[/youtube]

bazbarrybazzer said:
Not if i already posted, but this is brilliant. well said Mario

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O283MijqqxU&feature=share[/youtube]

I loved him anyway

Its now gone stratospheric

Fucking well said Mario

Really cracking piece, thanks for that.

"You are only able to find exhilaration in the familiar and it so rarely dwells there"

Every time I use this quote in future, I'll credit you with it. Consider it borrowed. ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.