Fatigue and Minutes Played

Pep rotated like there was no tomorrow in the early season, so hopefully now we'll see the fruits of those labours.

Pep rotated like there was no tomorrow in the early season, so hopefully now we'll see the fruits of those labours.
I also think the injuries have come at "good" times this season, near to international breaks or before matches against the weaker teams. We have had good cup draws allowing us to rotate more. Stones and KDB should both be fresh. The biggest factor was the World Cup hangover for some of our players but in recent weeks Kyle Walker has been back on form. I think Klopp's overemotional response to things (as well as the fanbase) will not help Liverpool. We have a great chance this season to make history again.

There has been a lot of talk about fixture congestion and City players having to fight on multiple fronts, so I thought I would pull some stats together. This table shows how many minutes each City and Liverpool player has played this season.

Interestingly, the three outfield players who have played the most this season are VVD, Salah, and Robertson (all over 3300), with Walker, Laporte, and Mane close behind.

The % column shows how much each player has played compared to the maximum possible. Liverpool have six outfield players who play over 77% of their minutes (VVD, Salah, Robertson, and Mane all play 88%+), while City's most 'important' players are Walker and Laporte (74%).

I think this shows that, although City do have more games to play in the remainder of the season, we are less reliant on our first team than Liverpool and hopefully the squad will be able to cope.

Also this international break is really dragging.

YGh2dBd.jpg

For what it's worth, City have played 49 matches this year (30 Prem, 8 CL, 6 League Cup, 4 FA Cup, and the Community Shield) plus one set of extra time. Liverpool have played 41 (31 Prem, 8 CL, and 1 in each cup competition).

Data is from https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/

Imagine how fucking fresh Claudio Gomes must feel.

Ludicrous that Walker's been our most played outfield player whilst Danilo has struggled to get a game. Appreciate he was injured for the for the first few months, but there's no reason as to why he hasn't been played more since the turn of 2019, given his excellent performances and Walker's consistent blunders. Danilo is a much better footballer, just not as strong an athlete.

I think the fact that we've got key players coming back after the international break is going to huge for us, we just need to get them up to speed as quickly as possible. All of Liverpool's key players have played game after game this season, whereas we've been missing players like Fernandinho, KDB, Laporte, Mendy, Stones for long spells. Having a fully fit squad for the first time this season will be massive and allows for good rotation in this congested period. I think that Liverpool are going to struggle more than us, despite us having a couple more games.

Just absolutely have to get off to a strong start and keep the rhythm going. We've got the squad to guide us through.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.