Favourite first game of the season

FrankSwift1

On the way home from watching the game in the pub and starting to think of which was my favourite first game of the season.

Two spring to mind.

V West Ham. First game under Sven. Sunny day, loads of new players. Played well and won. Was such a change from the dross the previous season we'd endured under Pearce.

V Swansea at home. I think three words sum this game up. Sergio Aguero. WOW. The first 2-3 months of that season were special. The first time I'd seen City with a proper decent team, with a chance to win the title. Not fluke a cup win or sneak past the best teams to win something. We could stand up and say we are the best team in the country. This game was start of all that.

If pushed to choose I'd go with the Swansea game. Maybe partly because of what came afterwards.

Anyway so what's your favourite first game?

Blackpool at home in 1998. Loyalty and defiance writ large, from where we are now reaping the rewards; and some.
We fans planted our flag that day. I remember it well - it was not an atmosphere of “ooh let’s have a look at what’s going down n this division”. It was defiance, love and loyalty.
I know that sounds melodramatic but to my footballing life, it was an important moment

West Ham away under Sven. Yeah the takeover wasn't for another year but that was the proper beginning of the revival. That kit, that team, Onuoha's run, months of abject misery and dismal football all over in 90 minutes.

Listened to it on Radio 5 on a beach in Wales and the commentator was describing City playing "flowing, attacking football" and we genuinely thought he was talking about West Ham. What a fantastic day.

Got back to the campsite at 10pm and asked the barman if he could switch the telly over to BBC One so I could watch the highlights and it was everything I could have possibly dreamed of as a 13-year-old lad.

I loved Blackburn away 09.

Great ground, first game for big money signings Adebayor, Tevez, Barry, Kolo. Felt like we had a proper team with a genuine chance of being good.

The black kit we played in sticks out as well.

It was just an exciting time, the signings, the Umbro kits, even the shitty doves concert a few weeks earlier in the pissing rain, everything just built up to that first game and we didn’t do a typical city, we felt the real deal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.