Favourite Record Labels

fast eddie said:
Deltasonic and Domino in my more Music Geek days but I've been impressed with Wichita recently.

-- Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:27 pm --

Shands said:
Bands nobody else remembers is a whole other story. Mine was The Kustom Built. They were Steve Lamacq's first band in session of the 00's and I saw them at Dry Bar about a week later. In the end I think they signed to Clint Boon's label at the same time as Nylon Pylon (The Whip) but nothing happened from there.

The Whip are/were Nylon Pylon? I'm not questioning it. Just didn't realise.

The two guys were. Interestingly, the drummer Fee was previously drummer in Ketamine, of which I was the singer (though she was a late addition as the rest of us are about 10 years older than her and originally started out in 91).

I used to love Beggar's Banquet and 4AD when I was younger. More recently, mostly on a breaks tip, I've been in love with Hardcore Beats, Fusetrax (well I own it!), Rat Records, Broke and Supercharged/Against the grain.

Shands said:
m27 said:
Correct about Hut. There was a band called the Drop Nineteens that were on Hut in the early nineties and I genuinely think I was the only person in the world that liked them.

I can remember Hut had The Verve, Embrace, Gomez and The Music amongst others.

I'd love to now say 'God yeah I remember The Drop Nineteens!' ...but I've never heard of them, sorry it's just you!

Bands nobody else remembers is a whole other story. Mine was The Kustom Built. They were Steve Lamacq's first band in session of the 00's and I saw them at Dry Bar about a week later. In the end I think they signed to Clint Boon's label at the same time as Nylon Pylon (The Whip) but nothing happened from there.

The other band no one but me and my mate seemed to like was Molly Half Head who were from Manchester and very good. I saw them supporting Verve in 1992 in the Hop and Grape at the Uni.

They did sod all though, like Wonky Alice who I also liked from the early 90s.

Smack records - New Jersey

King Street records - New York

Yellorange records - New Jersey

Groovesville records - Detroit

Thelma records - Detroit

goose72 said:
The two guys were. Interestingly, the drummer Fee was previously drummer in Ketamine, of which I was the singer (though she was a late addition as the rest of us are about 10 years older than her and originally started out in 91).

Are either of The Whip Guys the Lad who was with Clint Boon at one point? I saw quite an early Nylon Pylon Gig (was there for another Band) and there were loads of faces there to see them. Doves, Elbow, the late Tony Wilson.

fast eddie said:
The Whip are/were Nylon Pylon? I'm not questioning it. Just didn't realise.

Yep as Goose72 says Bruce and Dan from The Whip were Nylon Pylon. They actually released Sister Siam as a single with both acts about 6 years apart.

m27 said:
The other band no one but me and my mate seemed to like was Molly Half Head who were from Manchester and very good. I saw them supporting Verve in 1992 in the Hop and Grape at the Uni.

They did sod all though, like Wonky Alice who I also liked from the early 90s.

I've heard of Molly Half Head but not sure why. Wasn't there some connection with Oasis when they were starting out?

Anyone remember The Dylans or Out of My Hair......nope thought not!

I'm still interested to know whether anyone under 25 cares about record labels anymore, come on MCFC Bob lets have your thoughts.<br /><br />-- Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:06 pm --<br /><br />
fast eddie said:
goose72 said:

Are either of The Whip Guys the Lad who was with Clint Boon at one point? I saw quite an early Nylon Pylon Gig (was there for another Band) and there were loads of faces there to see them. Doves, Elbow, the late Tony Wilson.

There's every chance. From what I can remember Clint Boon was intending to set up a Booney Tunes record label and Nylon Pylon and The Kustom Built were going to be his main acts. Most of The Kustom Built were from the north east but I think one of them was from Oldham and I'm fairly sure that the two bands and Clint spent a good bit of time knocking about together at that point. Not really sure what happened in the end although I think one of TKB went on to form a group called The Metro Sect.

Id have to go with Creation. I'm not a fan of silvertone records, but the story of all the stone roses going round and smashing the offices up makes me laugh.

On the topic of 90's bands, does anyone remember Hurricane #1?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.