Ferran Soriano: City positioning themselves as “club of the future”

Some very valid points you make which may explain why our local fan base has not expanded as I think it should have considering the football we are currently playing and the success we've had since the takeover, hence the delay with the north stand expansion.

But don't you feel like City would need to "convert" die hard rags over to truly grow the local fan base? That's going to take a good long while, especially given the tribal nature of supporters (is not as ingrained here in the states) and it it starts with young people, so takes years to blossom. I suppose you could be converting the casual Manc football fan to a more rabid one, but I'd assume that bandwagoning impact would already have happened given the championships Utd won.

My feeling is that in the rush to set up the CFG and the desire to promote the name of Abu Dhabi globally, the fans in Manchester are seen as the least important part of the equation.

Seeing as promoting Abu Dhabi is the only motivation for putting money into City it would have been amazing if that hadn't been the priority.

Soriano made a good point. Kids today are watching football and becoming City fans.

Watching history in the making and will be fans for life. It is the clubs duty and goal to continue playing in the way and trophies are coming and will continue to come.

We already saw the likes of Naby Kieta and Dybala saying they would like to one day play for City. This will be more and more common.

Exciting times ahead.

But don't you feel like City would need to "convert" die hard rags over to truly grow the local fan base? That's going to take a good long while, especially given the tribal nature of supporters (is not as ingrained here in the states) and it it starts with young people, so takes years to blossom. I suppose you could be converting the casual Manc football fan to a more rabid one, but I'd assume that bandwagoning impact would already have happened given the championships Utd won.

I agree with you up to a point mate. There are also a lot of young lads in Manchester who wear Barca shirts for kick abouts etc. They should be easier to convert to City than died in the wool rags.

When I was a pub landlord, Sky subscriptions were calculated against the rate-able value of the premises (don't know if they still are).

I looked into putting Sky in my pub in Docklands, I was quoted £36,000 per year and this was over 14 years ago. Told them to shove it. Had it installed upstairs in my flat for normal domestic price. It's a fucking rip off for Licencees.

Very true. The rags were on top as football became a world game through satellite t.v. and it took them 20 years. It will take a lot of work and a lot of wins with attractive football to turn it around.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.