#21 | Ferran Torres - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd disagree. Mahrez can produce a moment of magic that Torres hasn't shown yet. Mahrez offers us so much in terms of creativity that it's hard to not play him with Cancelo and KDB aren't.
Apart from a hat trick against Burnley, we’ve barely seen any magic from Mahrez this season. Much prefer Torres who grafts all game than to that lazy show pony.

I'd disagree. Mahrez can produce a moment of magic that Torres hasn't shown yet. Mahrez offers us so much in terms of creativity that it's hard to not play him with Cancelo and KDB aren't.
you mean magic like regaining your feet under pressure, twisting and turning to beat 2 defenders at the byline and set up the match winning goal? When was the last time FFS did anything like that?

Apart from a hat trick against Burnley, we’ve barely seen any magic from Mahrez this season. Much prefer Torres who grafts all game than to that lazy show pony.
By magic, I mean the ability to open up a defence with a single pass. We need his creativity when we don't have KDB and Cancelo in the team. Torres may graft more but there is a quality difference between the two right now.

He needs to learn when to come off his wing and get into the box.

We know he has good movement and finishing, but it's useless if he's still on his touchline when Foden or Gundogan are looking to cross from the left. Width is important in the build up, but you can't still be there when the cross goes in.

When he learns to do that, like Sterling did, he'll start scoring goals and lots of them.

Great work for the goal though.

He can, but he doesn't. 90% of his play falls under one of two categories:
a) turn and pass back to the centre-back
b) twist, turn and blast a low shot into the ankles of the nearest defender

If Mahrez was playing at his best I'd agree with you but he's been a long way below that level for some time unfortunately, because he worries more about scoring good goals than getting good results.

He can, but he doesn't. 90% of his play falls under one of two categories:
a) turn and pass back to the centre-back
b) twist, turn and blast a low shot into the ankles of the nearest defender

If Mahrez was playing at his best I'd agree with you but he's been a long way below that level for some time unfortunately, because he worries more about scoring good goals than getting good results.

But it's the 10% that can give us so much. Torres tried but the quality difference between the two at their best was plain to see. I would have Mahrez starting the big games/games when KDB and Cancelo aren't playing. His creative numbers are fantastic.

But it's the 10% that can give us so much. Torres tried but the quality difference between the two at their best was plain to see. I would have Mahrez starting the big games/games when KDB and Cancelo aren't playing. His creative numbers are fantastic.
Mahrez played in the reverse fixture and all we could muster was a long distance shot from Walker. It was the right call IMO to start Torres. SU played with a back 5 and clogged up the middle. I think we needed the wingers wide.

I’d disagree with that and say that Torres does exactly that, in producing the odd moment of magic. He’s not consistent throughout the game but 4/5 times yesterday he did something most can’t and it resulted in one goal and several chances created.

Like Foden, it’ll start becoming more and more regular and he’ll massively improve.

Unfortunately for Mahrez, he’s significantly older and this is him at his best years.

But that 10%... he could and should be doing that much more than 10% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.