Fewest Total Defeats in a season for City

I won’t claim to be right as it was a question rather than an assertion but the reason I asked was that in Arsenals invincible season they actually lost 6 games across all competitions. So if 6 defeats is the bar, does that mean we were invincible in the 18/19 season? It doesn’t but I’ll find a use for it in the pub.
Preston are the only team to have a true Invincibles season in 1888-89.

They didnt lose a single game: they didn’t lose in the league, and won the FA Cup without conceding a goal.

Granted, it was only 22 league games in the inaugural Football League season (18 wins, 4 draws, 0 defeats), and 5 FA Cup games. But they still achieved it and nobody else in that era did (or ever have since).

The only thing with that site is that it doesn’t count wins/defeats on penalties as wins/defeats, it counts them as draws.

Last season we lost to Arsenal (Community Shield) and Real Madrid (Champions League) on penalties and, for me, they should be true defeats… we didn’t share the CS on Saturday with United, we won it!.

So it says on there that last season (2023-24) we only lost 5 games. That would be our record according to that site, but we actually lost 7 games.

That site also counts our 2016 EFL Cup win on penalties against Liverpool as a draw, 2019 EFL Cup win on penalties against Chelsea as a draw, the 2020 CS win on penalties against Liverpool as a draw and the 2023 UEFA Super Cup win on penalties against Sevilla as a draw.

Last edited:
The only thing with that site is that it doesn’t count wins/defeats on penalties as wins/defeats, it counts them as draws.

Last season we lost to Arsenal (Community Shield) and Real Madrid (Champions League) on penalties and, for me, they should be true defeats… we didn’t share the CS on Saturday with United, we won it!.

So it says on there that last season (2023-24) we only lost 5 games. That would be our record according to that site, but we actually lost 7 games.

That site also counts our 2016 EFL Cup win on penalties against Liverpool as a draw, 2019 EFL Cup win on penalties against Chelsea as a draw, the 2020 CS win on penalties against Liverpool as a draw and the 2023 UEFA Super Cup win on penalties against Sevilla as a draw.
Technically, they're correct. Any game that finishes level after 90/120 minutes goes into the record books as a draw.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.