FFA Cup. Australia FA Cup

Agree, is was a strange way to conduct the draw. Quite why they split the A League clubs into a separate group seemed to contradict the whole point of the cup bringing all clubs together in one competition.

Anyway it's turned out great for my club Bayswater who play Melbourne Victory with the date now confirmed .

I thought it was just the first round was like that, pretty crazy I agree Fal.

It's pretty cool though, I trained with South Springvale after work for a bit of fun with a mate, can't see them going far though...
Dandenong thunder could give a bit of a russle though, they have some pretty rich Albanians backing the club.

The FFA Cup is a weird concept. It's definitely modelled on the FA Cup, but I think they've tried too hard to ensure that the fans of smaller teams remain interested to the end.

If you read into the structure of the competition, they've deliberately designed it so that certain teams can only be drawn against certain other teams - six A-League teams (out of 10) were forced into draws against each other in the very first round "Proper" in a deliberate measure to ensure that at least three A-League teams get knocked out straight away.

How come the big clubs don't play in there normal stadiums for matches?

And I have to agree that seeding rules are stupid. Takes away the whole point of a competition like this.

greasedupdeafguy said:
How come the big clubs don't play in there normal stadiums for matches?

And I have to agree that seeding rules are stupid. Takes away the whole point of a competition like this.

Probably mostly due to the FFA trying to "let outer-city areas experience a top tier clash" but also some other stuff such as venues being unavailable due to sharing with other teams (non-football), an expectation of lower-than-average attendance, and so on.

Most Australian sports seem to work on a "handicap" basis. They seem to it love that way.

AFL, the worst team gets the first pick of young talent in the "draft", same with egg chasing i think.

Melbourne Cup, a handicap race, even the Stawell Gift is a handicap race. Very strange.

We are preparing for our game against Melbourne Victory, what a farce it has been trying to settle on a venue. Our ground does not have suitable floodlights and no other ground in the league satisfies the standard for A League, apparently needs to be 300 luxe or the players have insurance issues.

Still going to be a great occasion for our club and you never know cup upsets do happen.

Apparently there will be streams from the Melbourne City fc and SydneyFC websites if your interested and still up (not sure about the time difference).
Sory in letting you know a bit late.

Melbourne City lost in the inaugural FFA cup first round of ALeaguer's.
MCFC 1 v 3 SFC

quite terrible to be honest and it ment a lot this FFA cup business to us Aussies. But that's what happens when 90% of the team gets re-signed, from a team that won the wooden spoon and a manager that has won nothing.
The city group really missed a beat with us and expectations have plummeted because of this result.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.