'Fighting Cancer'

waterloo blue

I've been to a family friends funeral today and in the eulogy,his brother said he bravely fought his cancer for two years but sadly it was not to be the outcome he deserved.
What got me, was his brother implying that some people don't fight hard enough and that only if you've got enough fight in you,you can survive and the weak die early.Surely this bastard of a disease doesn't discriminate and certain people no matter what they do,or hard they fight are basically doomed.

Some people do give up - they stop eating and don't go for the treatment they should do. They convince themselves it's all a waste of time and they're going to die whatever they do. Some people do everything they can and still die. People handle things in their own way and it's not always the best one.

If the brother thought his brother had given everything he could and it makes him feel a bit better knowing that whats wrong with that?

If the brother thought his brother had given everything he could and it makes him feel a bit better knowing that whats wrong with that?[/quote]There was nothing wrong with what he said,it's just the implication that sometimes you can beat it but choose not to,as you just don't have the right attitude.

waterloo blue said:
I've been to a family friends funeral today and in the eulogy,his brother said he bravely fought his cancer for two years but sadly it was not to be the outcome he deserved.
What got me, was his brother implying that some people don't fight hard enough and that only if you've got enough fight in you,you can survive and the weak die early.Surely this bastard of a disease doesn't discriminate and certain people no matter what they do,or hard they fight are basically doomed.

Everyone copes in their own way and I suspect that not all are as strong as this guys brother.
God forbid,but until anyones actually been there,how the hell do we know in advance,how we`d cope under these terrible conditions.

My Dad has cancer and he is trying to fight it - hes refusing to give up and trying to lead as normal life as possible.

My step-brothers mother has cancer and she has given up! she is still smoking, not eating and just isnt helping herself or anyone around her!

I suppose people cope in their own way but it would hurt me a lot more to see my dad give up!

I believe that the mental attitude of the patient does help in 'fighting' a disease. There's probably been tons of research done, and not one amount has found a definite answer.

But, if I got cancer (and thanks to my genes, I have a higher risk) I'd like to adopt a positive attitude to it and do all I could to beat it.

Obviously, some could argue you may have more chance of getting Joe Hart to score last night just because you thought positively about it, it was out of your hands. I mean, those cells are going to do what's in their chemical nature, regardless of whether you're smiling or not.

I've also seen plenty of positive people with cancer, laughing, joking and being optimistic only to see them die from it.

I have no idea where I'm going with this, I'd have liked to have brought it all together with an interesting conclusion, but meh.

I know someone who would tell you that all disease is just a mental state of mind and to an extent, he has a point. Guy has a positive attitude about everything, eats healthily and all the rest and I don't think he's ever been ill in about 4 years. I think fighting cancer is as much about will and determination as much as it is the treatment.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.