First game....

Zabbasbeard

Team supported
Manchester City
Forty years ago today, on 1st November 1980, was my first visit to Maine Road. My parents were newly separated and Dad was looking for something to do on a Saturday afternoon. I liked football but had been more into cricket so didn't have a team of my own as such, even at 15. City were bottom of the old First Division but the team played with great spirit. What grabbed me most was the fans, chanting "We love you City we do" to a team that was rock bottom in the league. Paul Power, Dave Bennett, Nicky Reid, Joe Corrigan and one Gerry Gow, making his debut, stood out to me. Particularly Gerry Gow. Dave Bennett missed a good chance but Paul Power scored the winner and everyone went home happy. The fans, the players, the ground, the aroma of soup, pies, beer and tobacco were a heady mix that I will never forget. I was bitten by the bug that day. I wanted more. I wanted to be one of those fans. Despite the mostly thin and thinner of the first 28 years, 5 relegations, 5 promotions and the latent success of the last 10 years, I've never regretted a moment. The lows, as painful as they were, have made the highs that bit better. Thanks Dad even if you're no longer with us. Here's to a few years more...

What was your first game? What grabbed you!? Maybe you were already a Blue.

Thanks Ric, Gary, Colin and co for this site. Love it.

Last edited:
Forty years ago today, on 1st November 1980, was my first visit to Maine Road. My parents were newly separated and Dad was looking for something to do on a Saturday afternoon. I liked football but had been more into cricket so didn't have a team of my own as such, even at 15. City were bottom of the old First Division but the team played with great spirit. What grabbed me most was the fans, chanting "We love you City we do" to a team that was rock bottom in the league. Paul Power, Dave Bennett, Nicky Reid, Joe Corrigan and one Gerry Gow, making his debut, stood out to me. Particularly Gerry Gow. Dave Bennett missed a good chance but Paul Power scored the winner and everyone went home happy. The fans, the players, the ground, the aroma of soup, pies, beer and tobacco were a heady mix that I will never forget. I was bitten by the big that day. I wanted more. I wanted to be one of those fans. Despite the mostly thin and thinner of the first 28 years, 5 relegations, 5 promotions and the latent success of the last 10 years, I've never regretted a moment. The lows, as painful as they were, have made the highs that bit better. Thanks Dad even if you're no longer with us. Here's to a few years more...

What was your first game? What grabbed you!? Maybe you were already a Blue.

Thanks Ric, Gary, Colin and co for this site. Love it.

Great post mate.

This was mine and I was nearly 4. My old man took me and we sat in the bottom of the North Stand. Remember absolutely nothing about the game but remember City won and the noise overwhelmed me. Hooked ever since. Cheers Dad​

Manchester City vs Liverpool​

Division One (Old)
Sat 14 September 1974.

Score: W 2-0

Attendance: 45194

video-icon.png
View footage

Team​

1. Keith MacRae
  2. Colin Barrett
  3. Willie Donachie
  4. Mike Doyle
  5. Jeff Clarke
  6. Alan Oakes
  7. Mike Summerbee
  8. Colin Bell
  9. Rodney Marsh
  10. Asa Hartford
  11. Dennis Tueart

Goals​

Subs​

This was mine and I was nearly 4. My old man took me and we sat in the bottom of the North Stand. Remember absolutely nothing about the game but remember City won and the noise overwhelmed me. Hooked ever since. Cheers Dad​

Manchester City vs Liverpool​

Division One (Old)
Sat 14 September 1974.

Score: W 2-0

Attendance: 45194

video-icon.png
View footage

Team​

1. Keith MacRae
  2. Colin Barrett
  3. Willie Donachie
  4. Mike Doyle
  5. Jeff Clarke
  6. Alan Oakes
  7. Mike Summerbee
  8. Colin Bell
  9. Rodney Marsh
  10. Asa Hartford
  11. Dennis Tueart

Goals​

Subs​

That's some first match. Cheers mate.

My first home game was the 5-1 Charlton promotion game.
Dad drove me, mum and a couple of mates up from Devon in an old Ford Transit with a bus seat screwed to the floor in the back.
I was sick with nerves, the run in had been so stressful, and how many people were there that day?
Nerves were quickly settled and City romped to victory.
Leaving Maine Road, mum had a bad stomach and had a shit in a carry bag in the back of the van to top a memorable day.

Mine was 13 March 1970 (I think)

City 1

West Ham 5

What a welcome to The First Division

Bell Lee Sunnerbee etc

And Greaves Hurst Peters Moore etc

Beaten but hooked

50 years later still loving it !

My first home game was the 5-1 Charlton promotion game.
Dad drove me, mum and a couple of mates up from Devon in an old Ford Transit with a bus seat screwed to the floor in the back.
I was sick with nerves, the run in had been so stressful, and how many people were there that day?
Nerves were quickly settled and City romped to victory.
Leaving Maine Road, mum had a bad stomach and had a shit in a carry bag in the back of the van to top a memorable day.
I think I only saw one goal in that game cos the Kippax was that full it was hard to see as a 14 year old. I do recall being literally carried off my feet on the way out of the ground down the steps until I got to the concourse

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.