First time buyer - help!

Thaksins Love Child

Looking to get my foot on the property ladder so I've just had a mortgage in principle agreed by Halifax via a financial advisor.

They would lend me up to £255k although based on my monthly payment budget and deposit, I'm looking at around £150k with a 2 year fixed rate of 2.99%.

So - what happens now? I've always thought buying a house was so complicated due to the different mortgage type options. So do I find a house I like, view it, make an offer and buy it?

Any advice is much appreciated.

In the current market you are the only type of person a seller will look at. It also puts you in an ideal bargaining position.

Think of it like this. I'm flogging my house for 100k, you come and view it and offer, 90k. You are not in a chain and guaranteed a mortgage (mortgage in principle).
I can either accept your offer or hold out for someone who will offer the 100k I want BUT they could be in a chain (have to sell their house first) or they could be a first time buyer who has not yet approached a mortgage company and may be a) refused or b) it could take months to get accepted.

I would make sure when you book a viewing the estate agents knows you are approved, he will help to push the price down for you as it will sold to the seller (if you know what I mean) as a good point.

In essence all you uave to do now is find your house and make an offer. You are in a fantastic position negotiation wise, remember; if you're not embarrassed by your first offer, you're doing it wrong.

Thaksins Love Child said:
Looking to get my foot on the property ladder so I've just had a mortgage in principle agreed by Halifax via a financial advisor.

They would lend me up to £255k although based on my monthly payment budget and deposit, I'm looking at around £150k with a 2 year fixed rate of 2.99%.

So - what happens now? I've always thought buying a house was so complicated due to the different mortgage type options. So do I find a house I like, view it, make an offer and buy it?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Depending on how confident you are in your ability to earn more going forward and how much you are prepared to take risks, stretch yourself as much as possible at this point.

Moving house is expensive so most people don't do it very often, that means that if you buy a place now you might still be in it in 5, 6 even 10 years time. What will you be earning then and will you be kicking yourself that you didn't go for that slightly bigger place that was only £10k more expensive?

I lost out on a house 2 years ago. I offered £300k which was already stretching myself. They held fast for an offer nearer £310k and then accepted an offer of £308k from someone else. In the intervening 18 months i have had a pay rise which would have made £308k easily affordable, and the very same house was on the market last month for £450k. To say i kicked myself is an understatement.

Plus like Blue Mist said, you will never be in this position (first time buyer with no chain) again. You are very attractive (oo er) to sellers and as such use this to get as much off the price as possible.

Good luck.

I'd suggest a different lender, since becoming Ltd the mortgage part of the Halifax had turned to rat shit.

Still they're good for a bit of compensation (three times) thanks to the Ombudsman after ballsing up my mortgage, admitting to it then instead of recalculating the correct interest closed the enquiry.

Apart from that welcome to the eternal wheel.

The process is that you look for a house and make an offer on it. That's the first hurdle. Once that's accepted then you apply formally for the mortgage. That will involve a survey. There's 3 types of survey. The cheapest is very basic and just tells the lender whether the house is worth the money they're lending on it. They're not particularly interested that it might cost you money to fix any problems. The next one up (Homebuyers Report) looks at the important things like the foundations, roof, damp, etc but only things they can see without going into the roof space and pulling up carpets. The most expensive (Buldings Survey) is a full survey that goes into everything and suggests what might need to be done and indicates how much it might cost.

You really need to have something more than just a quick look so you should go for either of the two more expensive surveys but which one you get depends on a number of factors like the age of the house or if you're suspicious there might be problems. Worth taking someone like a builder along to have a look, as that can give you a clue as to what might be needed.

Once you've got the survey report, you should have a nidea how much needs to be done but surveyors will cover their arse and suggest things that might not need to be done, but you could or should do in an ideal world, because they're legally liable for their opinion.

If the survey report is bad then you can either pull out or negotiate a lower price with the vendor. If there's a few things but nothing major then you can come to some agreement about getting it sorted. The lender will base their final decision on thi report and might insist that some stuff is done or withhold some money until it is. It might decide to lend you less or even not lend at all. So that's the next big hurdle you

Once everything's sorted to your satisfaction and the lender has made a formal offer, then the lawyers get involved. They'll do what needs to be done and issue a contract once everything's sorted. When you and the vendor sign that, that's called exchanging contracts and is binding. Up to that moment anything could happen and you have little comeback if you're gazumped or the vendor messes about. Similarly, you can pull out. One the contracts are exchanged then you or they can't do that without risking being sued.

Following that, you agree a date for the move and, on that day, the lender releases the money to the solicitor, who pays the vendor and you get the keys.

It can be stressful for various reasons.
- Finding a house and agreeing an offer.
- The vendor finding somewhere else.
- The survey being shit.
- The lender not making the offer they'd agreed in principle.
- The solicitors screwing up or taking their time.

Good luck though.

I have always got the phone number from whoever i am buying from or selling to and sort any problems between us,it's much quicker and means no misunderstandings of having estate agents or solicitors passing on messages
Interest rates are only going to go up so factor that in and don't over stretch yourself
Good luck

Make sure you have enough for the deposit and the difference between what you agree as a price and what the mortgage lender thinks it is worth.

In your position I'd drop the financial advisor. You don't need one. The mortgage companies will be falling over themselves to sign you up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.