Football Books

quiet_riot

Team supported
City
I know A Season with Verona has been mentioned on here as a good one (ordered it for 1p on Amazon!), but what others are decent? I seem to recall one about the advent of total football, something Orange?

Open to suggestions, as long as you don't just put the title, give me a brief oversight too. :)

I'll give you "brilliant orange" on a match day for free mate as I have no use for it now.

Other good books:

"the Italian job" gianluca vialli and gab marcotti on the differences between the English and Italian game. Everything from playing styles to fans and tv coverage plus interviews with people like mourinho.

"marca" is also good about Spanish football. Covers all the regions and has a section on the national team.

Tony Adams - Addicted.

About his well documented alcohol problems. One thing that stuck in my mind was losing the Semi Final of Euro 96. As captain, he was gutted to be eliminated, but at the same time relieved that he could get on the ale.

All nighter at the team hotel, then when everyone went home, he carried on alone. Went to a working mans club, where he drank through the next afternoon alone (Early closing back then). Ended up soiling himself sat at his seat.

A powerful book.

A Brilliant Orange is terrible, more of a book about bloody architecture than football.

I like books about football tactics and selection details. In my head, the standard of football books that I've read starts with Sir Bobby Robson's autobiography, closely followed by Inverting the Pyramid by Jonathan Wilson, then Alex Ferguson's Season Diaries from the early nineties.

I've yet to read Vialli's the Italian Job, but am told by others that it is fantastic. Though not a tactics book, "Why England Lose" is quite good, as is Gary James' big book.

Petemeister said:
I'll give you "brilliant orange" on a match day for free mate as I have no use for it now.

Other good books:

"the Italian job" gianluca vialli and gab marcotti on the differences between the English and Italian game. Everything from playing styles to fans and tv coverage plus interviews with people like mourinho.

"marca" is also good about Spanish football. Covers all the regions and has a section on the national team.

Sounds good, cheers.

Damocles said:
Inverting the Pyramid by Jonathan Wilson,.
Heard you mention this before, IIRC, what's it about?

Jonathan Wilson is actually a journalist for one of the broadsheets.

It's a history of tactics and how they have developed over the years. He starts in the 19th century and the 2-3-5 and covers the full development all over the world of different systems, why they were successful, the coaches who came up with them and the players who played within them. It's very much a fact based book, without any preference of how the game should be played. He talks as vividly about the catenaccio just as he does about the tika taca that the Spanish national team currently play. In my opinion, it's pretty much the gold standard for the development of tactics, and more importantly, why they worked at certain times. Just an excellent book, I'd recommend it to anyone.

Dynamo by Andy Dougan is a stunning true story that I can highly recommend

The Nazi occupation of Kiev during World War II was a singularly brutal period in the history of the Ukraine. It is hard to imagine how the outcome of a football match could matter to a people who lived under constant threat of starvation, disease and death--but it did. In Dynamo--Defending the Honour of Kiev, journalist Andy Dougan tells the extraordinary story of how the players of Ukranian club side Dynamo Kiev--renamed FC Start--were saved from exportation to Nazi labour camps and became a beacon of hope for a city under the heel of the jackboot. Their finest hour was to be when a team of malnourished former Kiev stars took to the pitch against a Luftwaffe XI, and sought to deliver the propaganda coup of the war.

Dougan puts this extraordinary match in context, sketching the bloody history of the region, and reflecting on the roots of a fierce, nationalist spirit which was to express itself in the first half of the 20th century in the face of the totalitarian ideologies and genocidal instincts of both the Soviets and the Nazis. Dynamo became a popular focus of that spirit and its role as an embodiment of Ukrainian pride was never more significant than during the Nazi occupation, in face of astonishing brutality:

The Nazis had such institutionalised contempt for their prisoners that on some occasions they did not even consider them worth a bullet. Some sick prisoners who could not work were savagely beaten senseless and buried alive, in the knowledge that if they did regain consciousness they would not have the strength to free themselves from their shallow graves.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.