Football mags when you were younger

I used to have 1 where you got a blinder at the end to stick the magazine inside.

Forgot the name of it though!

Originals said:
I used to have 1 where you got a blinder at the end to stick the magazine inside.

Forgot the name of it though!

certainly the book of football did from the early seventies, it was one of those marshall cavendish types. think it went in a black binder that you used to have to send off for.

I remember Scoop too, but not sure if it lasted that long.

I used to get Tiger and Jag, later Tiger and Schorcher, which were more football comics really.

Also used to get Match Weekly, as it started out. Was never really a Shoot fan, although probably got it at the beginning of the season for the Football League ladders even though I could never be arsed updating them.

I touched on this on Saturday with that business of MCFC Bob's thread about the mole at the Cup Final - with a reference to " You are the Ref". I cant remember now if this was from " Tiger and Scorcher" or from " Shoot".

I can remember in the late sixties and early Seventies going to the paper shop with my pocket money and buying these. " Scorcher" had amazing characters like " Hot Shot Hamish" and " Lags Eleven" about a team of Footballers in prison but by far the best was "Billys Boots".

For younger posters; Billy Dane found an ancient pair of Boots that belonged previously to a Former Footballer based I presume on Stan Mathews or Tom Finney. When Billy - an orphan who lived with his Gran wore these Boots they magically transformed him into a young Messi and led him into all the right Goalscoring positions; taking him as far as England Schoolboy trials. Only problem being every other episode his Gran would buy him a new pair of Adidas or Puma and chuck his Magical Boots in the Bin just as the Bin men call on their Weekly rounds. As a Kid I couldn't get enough of this stuff.

Happy days.

ifiwasarichfan said:
I touched on this on Saturday with that business of MCFC Bob's thread about the mole at the Cup Final - with a reference to " You are the Ref". I cant remember now if this was from " Tiger and Scorcher" or from " Shoot".

I can remember in the late sixties and early Seventies going to the paper shop with my pocket money and buying these. " Scorcher" had amazing characters like " Hot Shot Hamish" and " Lags Eleven" about a team of Footballers in prison but by far the best was "Billys Boots".

For younger posters; Billy Dane found an ancient pair of Boots that belonged previously to a Former Footballer based I presume on Stan Mathews or Tom Finney. When Billy - an orphan who lived with his Gran wore these Boots they magically transformed him into a young Messi and led him into all the right Goalscoring positions; taking him as far as England Schoolboy trials. Only problem being every other episode his Gran would buy him a new pair of Adidas or Puma and chuck his Magical Boots in the Bin just as the Bin men call on their Weekly rounds. As a Kid I couldn't get enough of this stuff.

Happy days.
The Sheikh has just rang me to say
"offer £35m for Billy Dane,with £201,000 per week"
oh and "tell him to bring the boots"

TTTCITYBHOY said:
ifiwasarichfan said:

Happy days.
The Sheikh has just rang me to say
"offer £35m for Billy Dane,with £201,000 per week"
oh and "tell him to bring the boots"

I forgot to mention to the younger posters that when he had a pair of Adidas or Puma Boots on he was worse than Lee Bradbury and Gerry Creaney and all the other kids took the piss and he was immediately dropped from the School Team.

I recently sent my mrs in to our local newsagent to buy the roy of the rovers collectors edition while I discreetly stayed in the car!She came out giving me a slightly pitiful look as she handed the classic adventures of one of my heroes of childhood.
I forgot how predictable the stories were,but again it was nice to read them after all these years.
I vaguely remember one of my favourite stories being the safest hands in soccer about a scottish goalkeeper and also soccers hardman johnny dexter.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.