Football - the only Olympic tickets unsold

Mad Eyed Screamer

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/16915638" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/16915638</a>

Surprise, surprise!

PS Can you spot Zab and Kun in the picture ;)

Football is the only London 2012 event which has not sold out, with approximately 1.5 million tickets still available, BBC Sport has learned.

Football is still the biggest selling sport at the games, but only 800,000 of the 2.3 million tickets have been sold.

Showpiece events, such as some of the men's quarter-final and semi-final ties, have suffered from slow sales.

But organisers have cited a reluctance from fans to buy tickets before the draw is made on 24 April.

A London 2012 spokesperson said: "We are confident that when we know more about the teams and the draw, people will want to be part of the Olympic Games at the football venues across the UK."

Football is the only sport among the 26 at the games which has tickets on sale.

This raises the prospect of the Olympics opening to half-empty stadiums as football's preliminary matches begin on Wednesday July 25, two days before competition for any other sport starts.

But, despite the amount unsold, the 800,000 bought at the last count mean that football is the biggest seller at the games, out of the total 6.6 million tickets.

Tickets were taken off sale on Monday, and they will go back on the market, with prices ranging from £20 to £125, in April, when returned tickets for the 25 sold-out Olympic events will also become available.

The City of Coventry Stadium, Hampden Park, Millennium Stadium, Old Trafford, Sports Direct Arena and Wembley Stadium will stage the matches.

Hosts Great Britain are expected to compete with nations such as Brazil and World Cup and European champions Spain for the title.

Football Supporters' Federation chair Malcolm Clarke believes that "high prices" and a "lack of interest" due to England's participation in Euro 2012 could be behind the lack of sales.

"The general problem is that Olympic football is not seen as the pinnacle," he said.

"Most die-hard fans will be heading to Poland and Ukraine for Euro 2012 and wouldn't have even thought about the Olympics.

"They should have also priced the tickets much lower.

"I'm sure sales will pick up to an extent, but I'd be very surprised if there was a surge."

Tickets are available for most preliminary stage matches.

For the men's competition, the bronze match, two quarter final ties and one semi-final are also unsold. For the women's tournament, tickets are available for all knockout ties from the quarter finals to the gold medal game.

perhaps people cant be arsed with team Beckham, everyone knows he will be selected purely for hype and ticket sales.Wouldnt suprise me if the 3 overage players were Scholes, Giggs and Beckham with Bobby Charlton wheeled out to mention Munich (unless thats why he was taken ill last night, to cure him of mentioning Munich about 20 times per interview)

Ticket prices weren't great either, should be lowered and they might get people applying for them.

We went for the cheapest ones for Old Trafford and didn't get any so I'm not sure how they worked that one out if there's still some left.

hertsblue said:
perhaps people cant be arsed with team Beckham, everyone knows he will be selected purely for hype and ticket sales.Wouldnt suprise me if the 3 overage players were Scholes, Giggs and Beckham with Bobby Charlton wheeled out to mention Munich (unless thats why he was taken ill last night, to cure him of mentioning Munich about 20 times per interview)

Or perhaps people dont want to buy a ticket for a random date and then find out they are seeing Botswana vs outer mongolia when someone paid the same money and got Brazil Vs Argentina
Maybe of course or maybe what you said

hertsblue said:

With Pee-arse and Beckham in harness, they couldn't get me to a game if they gave me five star hospitality and got Mario to drive me to the ground and back!

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
hertsblue said:

With Pee-arse and Beckham in harness, they couldn't get me to a game if they gave me five star hospitality and got Mario to drive me to the ground and back!

You wouldnt end up at the game if Mario was taking you. You would end up in Barbados while people threw money at you and the sun smiled. This is Marios world

£20-£125 whaaaaaat thats a big difference there no doubt it will be £20 for Antigua to play Barbados or something

edit: never was good with geography

Do not think that report by the BBC can be correct (surprise, surprise). My son and his mates fancied going to see the BMX racing. When i rang up not an hour ago was asked what dates i wanted and what part of the arena did we want. Asked what was left and was told that i could sit anywhere on any date except the finals day where it was limited to a handful of remaining seats.

Also, regarding the football, a friend of mine works at Newcastle Sports Direct Arena and was telling me that the most tickets sold for any of the football games up there was about 6000 and he thought you would probably get in on the day. This is unless they get one of the big games, of course. Also they have 4 ladies games up there and he thinks the stadium could be more or less empty for all of these games.

I applied for men's final and semi-final tickets and was unsuccessful. I would go to a men's game but think that a lot of the tickets are available are for the women's event. Not very PC but really not interested in women's football.

The controversy surrounding the GB team (and the different FA's not fully behind it) is part of the cause for the apathy.

Beckham makes me gag with his media whore family.....i'd rather watch paint dry.

As for the olympics this time round?

No thanks either, the junket and gravyboat posturing makes my stomach churn.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.