For those that saw both live who was better?

Silva for me! I would add that even after Bell had passed his best many older City fans still believed Peter Doherty was the greatest ever MCFC player. No doubt when Doherty had passed his peak there were Blues still talking of Meredith as the greatest ever. It's difficult to compare players from different eras, and so maybe we should just look for the greatest in each era and settle for that.

I was lucky enough to see both. Perhaps CB had reached his peak when I saw him but completely controlled the midfield. As GJ above stated its very difficult to compare different era's but Silva is a maestro and in a far more technical league than CB played. The king will always be the king but Silva is the new incumbent for the crown.

No comparison for me.

Silva is the best at what he does, manipulating the ball around & running the tempo of games.

Does that make him a better player than Messi or Ronaldo ? No.

Bell was better than Silva at everything. Literally everything. But he didn't 'run' games like Silva. He just did everything else, far better.

Edit: I would expect him to be able to 'run' games, quite easily now, playing on perfect pitches where nobody is allowed to tackle him, but it can't be proved.

I've seen them both, but as stated by previous posters, I think KDB is fast approaching a different level, and might easily be a ballon d'or contender, come the end of the season.

The goal KDB scored v Arsenal, was pure Colin Bell. Brilliant.

KDB imo gets the passes off quicker than Bell & has more instant vision but Bell sometimes did the same. Bell far better goalscoring instinct, header, tackler & much much tougher.

He had a whole side to his game that KDB, Silva, Yaya don't have & imo people are ignoring it when making comparisons & just looking at the creative side.

Different players. Bell was a true box-to-box midfielder who didn't have the silky skills of Silva but could run/sprint all day, had a great passing range and regularly scored in double figures. He'd have been the key player in a Pep team.

Think a combination of Yaya, Fernandinho and Gundogan.
This. Perfect. With a touch of KdB, as well. But for Buchans assault, Bell's legacy would have been even greater.

Silva for me! I would add that even after Bell had passed his best many older City fans still believed Peter Doherty was the greatest ever MCFC player. No doubt when Doherty had passed his peak there were Blues still talking of Meredith as the greatest ever. It's difficult to compare players from different eras, and so maybe we should just look for the greatest in each era and settle for that.
Agreed!

The goal KDB scored v Arsenal, was pure Colin Bell. Brilliant.

KDB imo gets the passes off quicker than Bell & has more instant vision but Bell sometimes did the same. Bell far better goalscoring instinct, header, tackler & much much tougher.

He had a whole side to his game that KDB, Silva, Yaya don't have & imo people are ignoring it when making comparisons & just looking at the creative side.
I agree.he needed that side too,in the often violent 70s...And Bells heading ability is often over looked, lots more heading in the 60s and 70s,the ball was often in the air, diff game completely. Very hard to compare Bell and Silva.Silvas game is ball retention and esquite thru balls into the forwards..Bell was so ,much more than that,impressive goal scoring for a midfielder,goal line clearances, rugged defending,lung busting midfield runs,a very tidy pass and move game,headed goals,a composed head up style of midfield player,always looking ahead of himself ,always looking to set City off on the attack again.
And the scorer of countless mportant t goals,esp in tight matches on away grounds
Silva is without doubt one of the finest midfield players ive ever seen live,but perhaps his goal scoring over the years,for a man of his talent ,could have been a shade higher.I do think Silva has put up with the relentless targeting of his ankles from opponents in a very professional manner,never moaning himself into the refs book,or seeking retaliation...a consumate professional.
Both Bell and Silva score very highly in their calm,mild mannered professional approach to their careers, both off and on the pitch..that is perhaps one area where both players compare favourably.
I

Don't mention that tw@t, he ruined the best English midfielder for generations
And got rewarded by the fa with a job for life.
He has just retired.another example of jobs for the boys because of his utd connections,despute the fact he won very little in a poor side,and was playing when utd got relegated to the old second division.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.