Forget Mark Hughes: Is GARY COOK The Right Man For The Job?

The Oracle

Right now Rags fans, everywhere, and their Meeja allies, who LUHV to see City paraded for all to see as English Football's perennial fuck-up, are enjoying the moment.
How could anybody fail to convince a footballer to join our club at treble his wages,....(or whatever the reported respective sums are).
And for the 'new' City: the City that was going to seriously challenge the establish order: the 'Big Four' that all but Martin O'Neill, and perhaps even David Moyes has accepted as being 'set in stone'

I don't care so much that Gary Cook has been beaten by an established, and, indeed, the wiliest of political operators, like Silvio Berlusconi.
A man, after all that has had more obituaries, political or otherwise, than Mark Twain.

But I do care about the undignified way he has reacted.

I'm not being wise after the event and its perhaps being unfair to Mr Cook because I suspect he didn't receive his education in the school of hard knocks but, rather, the carefully-calculated old school espoused by the deans of America's best MBA schools.
Which is perhaps why he proved such a success at Nike.

In situations like this, whenever the situation sounds too good to be true the first rule of 'politics' is to get yourself inside the mind of your 'opponent'
What is his motivations, knowing what you do of him.
What really is in it, for him!
Or perhaps Mr Cook didn't educate himself as to what makes Signor Berlusconi tick.

I recall seeing a few posters here mention that our pursuit of Kaka was initially being promoted on Berlusconi-linked websites.
Unfortunately the penny didn't drop with Mr Cook.

Gary Cook is probably a nice man,.....perhaps even a very nice man.
And maybe he'll learn from this.

But I just question whether he really is the right man for THIS job

Do we need another thread for this, theres literally been dozens today.

On topic: IMO yes he is the right man.

And on your point of how he reacted, i thought he reacted perfectly. Milan , and there "own" media company have said kaka was to stay because he cannot be bought for money making Man City look like the bad guys in all of this.

Gary Cook has simply pointed out today thats all they wanted to talk about, and weren;y very professional about it either, nothing about contracts, sponsperships, image rights. Just plain cold cash.

How can anyone judge that unless you have been in meetings etc with him?

I would prefer a football man, say like Keegan to go and motivate players to join, but I'm not sure he has all the skills for the role.....

Its much easier to see if Hughes is doing a good job by the form of the team on the pitch, Cook earns shit loads of money and my guess is signing players is a very small part of that and more importantly signing players on contracts that are favorable to the club is even harder to gauge.

Moebius said:

I haven't seen any of them: at least not on Page One or among the active topics lists.

The Oracle said:
Moebius said:

I haven't seen any of them: at least not on Page One or among the active topics lists.

On page 1 , 12 posts down from this :

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=105066" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/forum/vi ... 1&t=105066</a>

Well, who do we want as CEO then and if anyone mentions some idiot former footballer that can´t understand a balance sheet I´ll go mad...

S04 said:
Well, who do we want as CEO then and if anyone mentions some idiot former footballer that can´t understand a balance sheet I´ll go mad...
I'm sure there are one or two former footballer who do understand Balance Sheets.
But then its probably street smart business people who know how to get down ad dirty that we need.
And let him engage a good accountant and marketing man to assist him

The Oracle said:
S04 said:
I'm sure there are one or two former footballer who do understand Balance Sheets.
But then its probably street smart business people who know how to get down ad dirty that we need.
And let him engage a good accountant and marketing man to assist him

Well, just ask Gill or Kenyon then...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.