Forget Mark Hughes: Is GARY COOK The Right Man For The Job?

The Oracle said:
Right now Rags fans, everywhere, and their Meeja allies, who LUHV to see City paraded for all to see as English Football's perennial fuck-up, are enjoying the moment.
How could anybody fail to convince a footballer to join our club at treble his wages,....(or whatever the reported respective sums are).
And for the 'new' City: the City that was going to seriously challenge the establish order: the 'Big Four' that all but Martin O'Neill, and perhaps even David Moyes has accepted as being 'set in stone'

I don't care so much that Gary Cook has been beaten by an established, and, indeed, the wiliest of political operators, like Silvio Berlusconi.
A man, after all that has had more obituaries, political or otherwise, than Mark Twain.

But I do care about the undignified way he has reacted.

I'm not being wise after the event and its perhaps being unfair to Mr Cook because I suspect he didn't receive his education in the school of hard knocks but, rather, the carefully-calculated old school espoused by the deans of America's best MBA schools.
Which is perhaps why he proved such a success at Nike.

In situations like this, whenever the situation sounds too good to be true the first rule of 'politics' is to get yourself inside the mind of your 'opponent'
What is his motivations, knowing what you do of him.
What really is in it, for him!
Or perhaps Mr Cook didn't educate himself as to what makes Signor Berlusconi tick.

I recall seeing a few posters here mention that our pursuit of Kaka was initially being promoted on Berlusconi-linked websites.
Unfortunately the penny didn't drop with Mr Cook.

Gary Cook is probably a nice man,.....perhaps even a very nice man.
And maybe he'll learn from this.

But I just question whether he really is the right man for THIS job

Totally disagree with you! FFS all we ehard last night was the Milan spin and the media on here lapping it up, then venting their bile against the club. Unfortunately City don't own TV stations (YET!) and we probably got our denial on the website has quickly has possible.

I for one will believe Cook's version before Berlusconi.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/mancity/4299750/Kakas-camp-greedy-and-unprofessional-says-Manchester-City-chief.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... chief.html</a>

The Oracle said:
Moebius said:
Do we need another thread for this, theres literally been dozens today.

On topic: IMO yes he is the right man.
I haven't seen any of them: at least not on Page One or among the active topics lists.

That's only because every man and his dog have been posting new threads every five fucking minutes.

So a guy who was hugely successful at building up a key brand within THE biggest sports firm globally is not good enough for Manchester City !!!

I would just love to understand who you think would be good enough for the role because as far as I can see Gary Cooks CV doesn't get much better.

Everything I have heard from the guy is thoroughly professional and his handling of this deal tells me he is everything we need and more.

He has balls, they went for the best player available in world football and weren't afraid of failure, (Would you have prefered it had we not tried and shown the ambition ?)he is not prepared to be held to ransom - despite our financial muscle - and it is clear that when it appeared all the talk was about the money involved rather than any interest in the clubs long term ambitions and goals we rightly lost interest and pulled out.

Despite my initial disappointment I am more positive than ever about the future of this club, I think that we really have some true professionals running our football club.

Blue Mooner said:
So a guy who was hugely successful at building up a key brand within THE biggest sports firm globally is not good enough for Manchester City !!!

I would just love to understand who you think would be good enough for the role because as far as I can see Gary Cooks CV doesn't get much better.

Everything I have heard from the guy is thoroughly professional and his handling of this deal tells me he is everything we need and more.

He has balls, they went for the best player available in world football and weren't afraid of failure, (Would you have prefered it had we not tried and shown the ambition ?)he is not prepared to be held to ransom - despite our financial muscle - and it is clear that when it appeared all the talk was about the money involved rather than any interest in the clubs long term ambitions and goals we rightly lost interest and pulled out.

Despite my initial disappointment I am more positive than ever about the future of this club, I think that we really have some true professionals running our football club.
Gary Cook's background is in marketing
And I'm sure he did a very good job for Nike.

But Silvio Berlusconi doesn't do marketing.
At least not the kind Nike know.

As I said elsewhere, we need a hardnosed business to run the club.
And let him then hire a good marketing man

foreverblue said:
The Oracle said:
Right now Rags fans, everywhere, and their Meeja allies, who LUHV to see City paraded for all to see as English Football's perennial fuck-up, are enjoying the moment.
How could anybody fail to convince a footballer to join our club at treble his wages,....(or whatever the reported respective sums are).
And for the 'new' City: the City that was going to seriously challenge the establish order: the 'Big Four' that all but Martin O'Neill, and perhaps even David Moyes has accepted as being 'set in stone'

I don't care so much that Gary Cook has been beaten by an established, and, indeed, the wiliest of political operators, like Silvio Berlusconi.
A man, after all that has had more obituaries, political or otherwise, than Mark Twain.

But I do care about the undignified way he has reacted.

I'm not being wise after the event and its perhaps being unfair to Mr Cook because I suspect he didn't receive his education in the school of hard knocks but, rather, the carefully-calculated old school espoused by the deans of America's best MBA schools.
Which is perhaps why he proved such a success at Nike.

In situations like this, whenever the situation sounds too good to be true the first rule of 'politics' is to get yourself inside the mind of your 'opponent'
What is his motivations, knowing what you do of him.
What really is in it, for him!
Or perhaps Mr Cook didn't educate himself as to what makes Signor Berlusconi tick.

I recall seeing a few posters here mention that our pursuit of Kaka was initially being promoted on Berlusconi-linked websites.
Unfortunately the penny didn't drop with Mr Cook.

Gary Cook is probably a nice man,.....perhaps even a very nice man.
And maybe he'll learn from this.

But I just question whether he really is the right man for THIS job

Totally disagree with you! FFS all we ehard last night was the Milan spin and the media on here lapping it up, then venting their bile against the club. Unfortunately City don't own TV stations (YET!) and we probably got our denial on the website has quickly has possible.

I for one will believe Cook's version before Berlusconi.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/mancity/4299750/Kakas-camp-greedy-and-unprofessional-says-Manchester-City-chief.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... chief.html</a>
I don't doubt Gary Cook's version.
Like I said: I believe he's a nice guy, and probably somebody I would trust.

But often, in situations like this, you need somebody batting for you who you wouldn't trust even half as far as you can throw them.
A healthy dose of scepticism, at the very least, is what you need in these situations.

Blue Mooner said:

the question is: did he judge the price of failure before going for it, feet first?

The Oracle said:
Blue Mooner said:

the question is: did he judge the price of failure before going for it, feet first?

I love Cook, but i have a funny feeling if we sent Harry Redknapp(as our spokemans) over with a couple of brown bags, kaka would be in blue by now haha

The Oracle said:
Blue Mooner said:

Gary Cook's background is in marketing
And I'm sure he did a very good job for Nike.

But Silvio Berlusconi doesn't do marketing.
At least not the kind Nike know.

As I said elsewhere, we need a hardnosed business to run the club.
And let him then hire a good marketing man

I don't know where you have got this idea that he is a 'marketing man'. How do you know he is not a hard nosed businessman ?

BEAVERTON, OR – NIKE, Inc., announced that executive Garry Cook has been promoted from International General Manager to President of the Jordan Brand.

Cook, 45, has been with Nike for almost 12 years, working in various sales and general management roles in the United States and Europe, including country sales manager for the United Kingdom, regional apparel sales director for Europe, Middle East and Africa, and general manager for Nike Team Sports in the United States.

Most recently as International General Manager for the Jordan Brand, Cook developed a five-year strategic plan to grow the brand in Asia and energize the Jordan Brand in Europe. In his new role, Cook will report to Craig Zanon, head of global basketball for Nike.

“Garry brings strong management experience to his new role and a consistent record of growing businesses,” said Nike brand President Charlie Denson.

“The Jordan Brand is one of the jewels of the Nike portfolio and has tremendous global opportunities as Nike continues to extend its leadership position in the basketball category around the world. We look forward to Garry’s leadership as we enter the next exciting chapter of the Jordan Brand.”

Michael Jordan, commenting on Cook’s appointment, said: “Garry has demonstrated tremendous leadership in the global marketplace and is perfectly poised to continue the growth of the Jordan Brand worldwide."

Therefore he has run key businesses within the Nike organisation- he was president of the Jordan brand which effectively means a managing director of that particular business, he has also held head of sales roles for the UK. To get promoted within one of the leading sports companies and be successful demonstrates he has all the right attributes - no doubt including being 'hard nosed'

I find it amazing how you can judge his credentials without actually having been involved in any of the dialogue that has taken place in the Kaka dealings. None of us are in a position to really say how it has been handled all we can go off is what Cook has told us and it seems plausible and I support his stance.

All I am judging him on is his career history and the things I have heard him talk about on the radio and he has always impressed me hugely.

Like I say I don't know who you might think would have better credentials.

The Oracle said:
Blue Mooner said:

The price of failure has been a hugely increased profile across the globe.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.