Forget Mark Hughes: Is GARY COOK The Right Man For The Job?

The deal was never gonna be as simple as walking in with a briefcase full of cash and a pen. I think Cook could be branded naive but hopefully he'll learn from the experience. My reading of events is we talked to Milan and Kaka's people to get a feel for the situation. Milan intimated they would sell - Kaka intimated he might come - fees and wages were verbally discussed but obviously not agreed. We tabled a bid - Milan gave us permission to speak to Kaka without officially accepting the bid.

We took the right people to Milan to sort out the deal including all Kaka's endorsements etc. Cook went to sell the City vision to Kaka - Kaka and his people all said it wasn't about money. For us I don't think it was just about signing any player but about how Kaka would change our team and our world wide peception etc. We got there - Milan and Bosco weren't able to answer questions that should have been answered if the transfer was feasible (i.e. Kaka's endorsements that were connected to him being a star but also a Milan player) instead the goal posts were shifted with the wage demands etc. We weren't just buying a footballer so how can we talk about wages when the job description isn't even completed and when we haven't even agreed a fee with Milan (Bosco could have easily went back to Milan and said City will pay Kaka £Xm dollars a week get my boy on a new contract or we walk).

These events altered or put in doubt the purpose of buying Kaka which was not just to add a very talented player to the squad but to put City in a whole different league. We felt the transfer was not going to happen and wasn't going to be as beneficial to City as we hoped so we pulled out.

Maybe I am naive as well but as I am a City supporter I will chose to support City and not instantly believe every rumour that casts us in a bad light or makes us look stupid. Cook did not mess this deal up - there was no deal to be made yesterday.

edit - sorry for the long and incoherent post but I'm still a little shocked and been wanting to get that off my chest all day!

Blue Mooner said:
The Oracle said:
Gary Cook's background is in marketing
And I'm sure he did a very good job for Nike.

But Silvio Berlusconi doesn't do marketing.
At least not the kind Nike know.

As I said elsewhere, we need a hardnosed business to run the club.
And let him then hire a good marketing man

I don't know where you have got this idea that he is a 'marketing man'. How do you know he is not a hard nosed businessman ?

BEAVERTON, OR – NIKE, Inc., announced that executive Garry Cook has been promoted from International General Manager to President of the Jordan Brand.

Cook, 45, has been with Nike for almost 12 years, working in various sales and general management roles in the United States and Europe, including country sales manager for the United Kingdom, regional apparel sales director for Europe, Middle East and Africa, and general manager for Nike Team Sports in the United States.

Most recently as International General Manager for the Jordan Brand, Cook developed a five-year strategic plan to grow the brand in Asia and energize the Jordan Brand in Europe. In his new role, Cook will report to Craig Zanon, head of global basketball for Nike.

“Garry brings strong management experience to his new role and a consistent record of growing businesses,” said Nike brand President Charlie Denson.

“The Jordan Brand is one of the jewels of the Nike portfolio and has tremendous global opportunities as Nike continues to extend its leadership position in the basketball category around the world. We look forward to Garry’s leadership as we enter the next exciting chapter of the Jordan Brand.”

Michael Jordan, commenting on Cook’s appointment, said: “Garry has demonstrated tremendous leadership in the global marketplace and is perfectly poised to continue the growth of the Jordan Brand worldwide."

Therefore he has run key businesses within the Nike organisation- he was president of the Jordan brand which effectively means a managing director of that particular business, he has also held head of sales roles for the UK. To get promoted within one of the leading sports companies and be successful demonstrates he has all the right attributes - no doubt including being 'hard nosed'

I find it amazing how you can judge his credentials without actually having been involved in any of the dialogue that has taken place in the Kaka dealings. None of us are in a position to really say how it has been handled all we can go off is what Cook has told us and it seems plausible and I support his stance.

All I am judging him on is his career history and the things I have heard him talk about on the radio and he has always impressed me hugely.

Like I say I don't know who you might think would have better credentials.
Nike was a well-established brand before he got involved with it.
He was insulated against failure.

Far better to engage a man who had turned a business around: and had the battle scars to show for it.

Blue Mooner said:
The Oracle said:

I don't know where you have got this idea that he is a 'marketing man'. How do you know he is not a hard nosed businessman ?

BEAVERTON, OR – NIKE, Inc., announced that executive Garry Cook has been promoted from International General Manager to President of the Jordan Brand.

Cook, 45, has been with Nike for almost 12 years, working in various sales and general management roles in the United States and Europe, including country sales manager for the United Kingdom, regional apparel sales director for Europe, Middle East and Africa, and general manager for Nike Team Sports in the United States.

Most recently as International General Manager for the Jordan Brand, Cook developed a five-year strategic plan to grow the brand in Asia and energize the Jordan Brand in Europe. In his new role, Cook will report to Craig Zanon, head of global basketball for Nike.

“Garry brings strong management experience to his new role and a consistent record of growing businesses,” said Nike brand President Charlie Denson.

“The Jordan Brand is one of the jewels of the Nike portfolio and has tremendous global opportunities as Nike continues to extend its leadership position in the basketball category around the world. We look forward to Garry’s leadership as we enter the next exciting chapter of the Jordan Brand.”

Michael Jordan, commenting on Cook’s appointment, said: “Garry has demonstrated tremendous leadership in the global marketplace and is perfectly poised to continue the growth of the Jordan Brand worldwide."

Therefore he has run key businesses within the Nike organisation- he was president of the Jordan brand which effectively means a managing director of that particular business, he has also held head of sales roles for the UK. To get promoted within one of the leading sports companies and be successful demonstrates he has all the right attributes - no doubt including being 'hard nosed'

I find it amazing how you can judge his credentials without actually having been involved in any of the dialogue that has taken place in the Kaka dealings. None of us are in a position to really say how it has been handled all we can go off is what Cook has told us and it seems plausible and I support his stance.

All I am judging him on is his career history and the things I have heard him talk about on the radio and he has always impressed me hugely.

Far better to engage a man who had turned a business around: and had the battle scars to show for it.

Blue Mooner said:
The Oracle said:

Prestwich_Blue said:
That's where he went wrong in Milan then - probably forgot who he was working for and tried to flog Kaka's dad some trainers.

Bit like the Assistant Manager selling cars to the England players in Mike Bassett.
I'll just take it you're being facetious with this comment.
But is that all you've got to say on the matter?

The Oracle said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
That's where he went wrong in Milan then - probably forgot who he was working for and tried to flog Kaka's dad some trainers.

Bit like the Assistant Manager selling cars to the England players in Mike Bassett.
Very perceptive Oracle

The Oracle said:
Yes. Although I will add I've no criteria or evidence for judging how well Cook does his job. Therefore I can't comment and neither can anyone else. Mind you, he has to be better than the small-minded beancounter we got him in to replace.

Prestwich_Blue said:
The Oracle said:
Very perceptive Oracle
thats why they call me The Oracle! :)

Prestwich_Blue said:
The Oracle said:
Yes. Although I will add I've no criteria or evidence for judging how well Cook does his job. Therefore I can't comment and neither can anyone else. Mind you, he has to be better than the small-minded beancounter we got him in to replace.
well, one criterion is the result of how he handled our biggest and most important transfer negotiation.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.