Forgotten Away Days 3 - 1989 - Oxford Utd

A A

Anonymous

Inspired by the QPR thread, Igive you The Manor Ground.

What a tiny little dump. Fans singing "subuteo, subuteo" at the size of the ground. Two lads absolutely bladdered climbing the fence at the front sing "Nigel is our dad, Nigel is our dad.." to Nigel Gleghorn.

2-0 down after 20 mins. Rip roaring come back to win 4-2.

I was only 18 and it was possibly the best away day I've had. Leaving virtually at the crack of dawn. Getting down there and having a good slurp; all the things you'd normally do basically but topped off with a superb comeback.

I know a lad who went to the game and got there 20 mins late. On his way to the ground he bumped into a couple of Blues who said to him "Sack that mate, we're 2-0 down already. We're off into Oxford on the piss, you fancy coming?" and he went with them! He never lived it down.

Re: Forgotten Away Days 4 - 1989 - Oxford Utd

I remember this one.. I was 9 and went with a few city fans from banbury, Somehow we had two tickets for City end, and two complementary tickets that were sat with the Oxford players and wives.

By mistake, myself and the bloke that took me used the complimentary tickets and so was in the ground early. Had full run of the ground backstage thou, and saw the City players arrive. They were excellent and took me in the changing room before the game, signed autographs etc (oh for camera phones in those days).

Was then sat next to Ricky Hill in the players sections. Stored back from 2-0 down, seem to remember we went back from 2-0 to 3-2 in a very short space of time.

When we met with the others they said that it was mental in the City end with lots of crushing going on.

Seem to remember we played Palace the following Monday on a Bank Holiday at home. Cleghorn scored and then went in goal... think Ian Wright got the goal but could be wrong

strongbowholic said:
Inspired by the QPR thread, Igive you The Manor Ground.

What a tiny little dump. Fans singing "subuteo, subuteo" at the size of the ground. Two lads absolutely bladdered climbing the fence at the front sing "Nigel is our dad, Nigel is our dad.." to Nigel Gleghorn.

2-0 down after 20 mins. Rip roaring come back to win 4-2.

I was only 18 and it was possibly the best away day I've had. Leaving virtually at the crack of dawn. Getting down there and having a good slurp; all the things you'd normally do basically but topped off with a superb comeback.

I know a lad who went to the game and got there 20 mins late. On his way to the ground he bumped into a couple of Blues who said to him "Sack that mate, we're 2-0 down already. We're off into Oxford on the piss, you fancy coming?" and he went with them! He never lived it down.

Was this the game David White scored from about 40 yards?

Went on a coach from Aytoun Street for this one. Remember one lad falling out of the door, pissed, when we got to the ground. There was a high ranking copper stood at the coach door laughing, who just said "Have you been drinking since Manchester?" How times have changed.

I seem to recall the standing tickets were put up to £5 and there being a bit of an outcry about it.

Seem to remember we played Palace the following Monday on a Bank Holiday at home. Cleghorn scored and then went in goal... think Ian Wright got the goal but could be wrong[/quote]

Going off topic a little but this was my first City game, Ian Wright did score for them, even then I thought to myself..."what a dick"

Was at this one. Cracking day out but one which I remember being too bladdered to appreciate the game. Started to dawn on me around this time I was drinking too much and spending too much and not really noticing how good or bad a game was. Actually just thought it might be worth going back to that approach.

I was there - The Oxford defender Colin Greenhall scored a great own goal, he got cheered for every touch after that - Also 3000 blues singing "there's only 1 Colin Greenhall" made us all laugh - happy days

Was there too. Remember giving Simmo the vs when he bundled one in right in front of us. Was worried that me dad would see me flicking the vs at someone on tele. If you look closely at the vid, you can see me in an unconvincing red and green Chevron Campri ski jacket. Twas all the rage in our school at the time.

This was the game where Brighty returned after much demanding from us to Mel Machin. After wed just lost at home to Barnsley and got hammered at Blackburn.

Seem to remember Meggo playing centre half in this game. Remember also Greenhalls own goal, but didnt he also deflect the one in that White claimed??? Dont know how Whitey claimed it, he hit it with his left foot so we all know it wasnt going in without the deflection

I was there -remember Robert Maxwell presenting City with a commemorative plaque - all 6 goals scored at the far end from us if I remember correctly?

I was there that day ..... as i was every time we went to the Manor Gound ...... i loved the place , and the suburb , so homely , so leafy ....... probably the worst toilet facilities i've ever seen anywhere though!

9ie6x3.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.