Formation.

With Mendy fit, I think you will see us play much more symmetrically. Although it is a feature of Pep's play that the full backs tuck in to flood the midfield, it's clear that Delph tucks in much more than Walker, and conversely that Sane sits out wide much more than Sterling (Hence Sterlings ridiculous goal scoring record this season and Sane's equally impressive assist stats). KDB regularly moves wide right in order to support Walker and Sterling, creating an overload which often frees up Sane to isolate himself against the opposition RB.

With Mendy on the pitch, I think we will see Silva operate on the left in the same way Kev does on the right, and improve our unpredictability on the pitch as we can switch the play and be equally devastating from both sides of the pitch. The inclusion of Laporte to hit the long balls to Sterling/Kev/Walker increases this switching ability and it's clear why Kolarov was used in this position so often last season. However David and Kev will remain the two most important cogs in our midfield and for the biggest games will always start when 100%. Having Mendy providing with width on the left pushes Sane inside into the Centre Forward position.

Dinho, although seemingly a perpetual motion machine, will need a break at points over the next few years. I've slightly altered my position on Gundogan recently, initially thinking he wasn't able to play as a lone pivot for us but I think in playmaking terms he is behind David/Bernardo/Kev in the two CAM positions and has the energy and vision to play the Fern role more than adequately. I also think the signing of Laporte allows us to play 3 at the back in certain games and rest Dinho, with the pivot position being replaced by the middle Central Defender in a high line (notice they play virtually the same position anyway in our system, I actually think the biggest issue with a back three is that Dinho and Otamendi/Stones end up occupying the same position).

So I'll give two starting XIs. First our familiar 4-1-4-1/4-3-3/Whichever telephone number you want to attribute to the system:

-----------------Ederson----------------
Walker--Stones--Otamendi--Mendy
--------------Fernandinho-------------
Sterling----KDB---------David---Sane
------------------Aguero----------------

And when playing 3 at the back, something like:

--------------------Ederson--------------------
---------Stones--Kompany--Laporte--------
Walker---------------------------------Mendy
----------KDB---Gundogan---Bernardo-----
------------Sterling------Jesus---------------

All our players are tactically astute, gifted and suited to either of the two formations, allowing for their own particular skillsets in particular games. Delph has done magnificently and I think is more than capable of contributing in the Centre of Midfield as well as at LB, but Mendy really has been a huge, huge miss for us this season.

With Mendy fit, I think you will see us play much more symmetrically. Although it is a feature of Pep's play that the full backs tuck in to flood the midfield, it's clear that Delph tucks in much more than Walker, and conversely that Sane sits out wide much more than Sterling (Hence Sterlings ridiculous goal scoring record this season and Sane's equally impressive assist stats). KDB regularly moves wide right in order to support Walker and Sterling, creating an overload which often frees up Sane to isolate himself against the opposition RB.

With Mendy on the pitch, I think we will see Silva operate on the left in the same way Kev does on the right, and improve our unpredictability on the pitch as we can switch the play and be equally devastating from both sides of the pitch. The inclusion of Laporte to hit the long balls to Sterling/Kev/Walker increases this switching ability and it's clear why Kolarov was used in this position so often last season. However David and Kev will remain the two most important cogs in our midfield and for the biggest games will always start when 100%. Having Mendy providing with width on the left pushes Sane inside into the Centre Forward position.

Dinho, although seemingly a perpetual motion machine, will need a break at points over the next few years. I've slightly altered my position on Gundogan recently, initially thinking he wasn't able to play as a lone pivot for us but I think in playmaking terms he is behind David/Bernardo/Kev in the two CAM positions and has the energy and vision to play the Fern role more than adequately. I also think the signing of Laporte allows us to play 3 at the back in certain games and rest Dinho, with the pivot position being replaced by the middle Central Defender in a high line (notice they play virtually the same position anyway in our system, I actually think the biggest issue with a back three is that Dinho and Otamendi/Stones end up occupying the same position).

So I'll give two starting XIs. First our familiar 4-1-4-1/4-3-3/Whichever telephone number you want to attribute to the system:

-----------------Ederson----------------
Walker--Stones--Otamendi--Mendy
--------------Fernandinho-------------
Sterling----KDB---------David---Sane
------------------Aguero----------------

And when playing 3 at the back, something like:

--------------------Ederson--------------------
---------Stones--Kompany--Laporte--------
Walker---------------------------------Mendy
----------KDB---Gundogan---Bernardo-----
------------Sterling------Jesus---------------

All our players are tactically astute, gifted and suited to either of the two formations, allowing for their own particular skillsets in particular games. Delph has done magnificently and I think is more than capable of contributing in the Centre of Midfield as well as at LB, but Mendy really has been a huge, huge miss for us this season.
I don't want a system where David Silva is not starting

If we were to start the season again now with the same squad but fully fit I suspect this would be Pep's preffered 11.
Long term I am unsure which Silva it will be so take your pick.

-----------------------Ederson-----------------------
Walker--------Otto-----------Laporte------Mendy
-------------------------Ferny------------------------
--------------KDB------------------Silva--------------
Sterling----------------Jesus-------------------Sane

Say we were then chasing a winner with 2 subs we could change to the formation below very quickly.
Stones on for Walker pushing Mendy further upfield.
Aguero on for Sane for a more direct goal threat, Mendy maintaining the width.
To be fair it could just as easily be Mendy and Sterling being subbed as Walker and Sane.

--------Otto-----------Stones--------Laporte------
Sterling-------KDB--------------Silva--------Mendy
---------------Aguero------------Jesus---------------

If we were to start the season again now with the same squad but fully fit I suspect this would be Pep's preffered 11.
Long term I am unsure which Silva it will be so take your pick.

Walker--------Otto-----------Laporte------Mendy
--------------KDB------------------Silva--------------
Sterling----------------Jesus-------------------Sane

Say we were then chasing a winner with 2 subs we could change to the formation below very quickly.
Stones on for Walker pushing Mendy further upfield.
Aguero on for Sane for a more direct goal threat, Mendy maintaining the width.
To be fair it could just as easily be Mendy and Sterling being subbed as Walker and Sane.

--------Otto-----------Stones--------Laporte------
Sterling-------KDB--------------Silva--------Mendy
---------------Aguero------------Jesus---------------

Your attacking change would be to withdraw Sane and put Stones on? I think in that instance then the change would be Sane/Sterling for Aguero with Walker at RWB.

I get the feeling that Pep wants to use a 5-3-2 or 5-2-3, I think he feels more secure defensively with it. He experimented with it early season, think we used it against Liverpool at home and Brighton away (?). I don't think it was a huge success, we were always expected to beat Brighton and Liverpool could've been a different game without the red, that game especially Otamendi was constantly covering the LB position and being exposed by Salah/ Mane.

The interesting thing is if he now experiments with Laporte playing on that left hand side, I think it would be a risk considering we've not done it since the first 10 games of the season, although it might be a useful way to rest some of our midfielders if we play the 5-2-3.

Anyway, as others have said, I think Pep is quite flexible during games, Fernandinho can quite easily drop in to make it a back 3 or 5 when needed. From what I've heard Pep say I think he's decided on our current formation though, he'd spoken of not being able to play a back 5 because of the lack of athleticism down the left without Mendy, but I think the results of this formation and the early success of switching to a 4-4-2 or 4-6-0 has given us enough back up plans without changing anything too radically.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.