Fouling Haaland

Haaland could stay on his feet better IMHO, for a big lad he sees more grass than Zico who is a foot smaller and 5 stone lighter.

I think we could make more of it tbh. His yellow at Chelsea was the nadir of how ridiculous it has gotten. Its like the refs give the other team licence to do whatever they want to Erl just because he's a big massive unit. Be funny if he decided to react to contact like some of the other fanny's in the league for a game.

I really dont have Haaland as a diver. He tries to stay on his feet nearly all the time.

I dont think its a City thing though, I think its a Haaland thing, as if he is a cheat code so its ok to foul him. There's deffo some of that attitude going on from refs and pundits etc.

Haaland could stay on his feet better IMHO, for a big lad he sees more grass than Zico who is a foot smaller and 5 stone lighter.
To be fair, Zico is retired, and is currently a technical advisor to a Japanese club, so he’s not going to see anywhere near as much grass as Haaland by default.

That aside, it’s actually pretty easy to bring down tall players when they are on the move, regardless of how strong they are, by pulling them from behind (or tripping them up). I should know, as it happened to me all the time when I played (1.86m and 215 pounds in my prime at 21 just before my serious knee injury). Our centre of gravity is higher, and you can use or own weight against us. And the opposite is generally true of short players, regardless of their strength/weight. It’s one of the reasons why Rico, Phil, Bernie, El Mago, and Kinky, among others, are/were so hard to take down or trip compared to Rodri or Haaland whilst in full flow. It’s also why nearly all top level wrestlers (of the real variety, not the WWE) tend to be short and stalky (it’s not just because of weight classes).

It’s actually not surprising at all that Haaland is going to wind up on his arse more given it’s easier to take him down by pulling and tripping and referees generally allow opposition players to do it with very little in the way of punishment (so they do it even more, realising that).

Last edited:
As a City supporter I am naturally bias, but game after game Haarland is fouled on and off the ball without the offenders being penalised. I am assuming that shoulder charging in the back and wrapping arms around an opponent are still regarded as fouls.
It really is so obvious but he never gets anything. He looks so down about it when he’s walking away from the incident. What has he got to do to get a penalty or even a foul against these defenders

Really??? How close to the ground do you sit? The fouls are deliberate & obvious AND often quite viscous

Genuinely think this comes into play with some refs - doesn't make it right though.
Yes he's a big fella - but taking rudiger as an example - if you're fouled by having arms around you/shirt pulled etc. it's still a feckin foul whether you're 6' 4", or Aguero at 5' 8"

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.