Francis Lee

Franny's just been on Radio 5 Live in bullish form. Took the piss out of the previous interviewee, Phil Chuckle, and supported the team and manager just like we all should.

Frannie made his debut v City as a 16-yr-old, scored a goal and was booked (less usual then than now).

That sums him up. As has been said, his performance v WBA in the 1970 League Cup Final was his finest for us. I'm proud to say I was there.

I never saw Francis Lee play.

Judging by the comments of fans of other clubs he is remembered most for being a diver.
Which is sad as obviously he was a top notch footballer.

I know he says that for every dodgy penalty he got there were two he never got but should have.

So , question for those who did see him, was he that much of a diver ???

Judging by the comments of fans of other clubs he is remembered most for being a diver.

I know he says that for every dodgy penalty he got there were two he never got but should have.

By the standards of simulation nowadays he was as honest as the day is long! Yes sometimes he exaggerated the contact but I agree with what he says about plenty of fouls on him not being given.

He was nothing like todays footballers , who can trip over a blade of grass , ive seen franny nearly cut in two in the penalty area and get nothing , he earned his penalties no doubt and he knew how to commit defenders into stupid fouls , he wasnt just a hard bastard , he was clever and one of the finest English centre forwards of his era.

Fitted straight into the team and never gave less than 100%. Small but strong and stocky, gave as good as he got and had dynamite in his boots. Most of his penalty awards were no brainers with only a few debatable, if you want dodgy penalties check out Rodney Marsh.

My abiding memory is his infectious giggle and cheeky face.

He was the type of player you want on your team and not playing against you - as he painfully reminded us when he came back to Maine Rd with Derby County. One thing for sure, he was a thousand times better player than he was a recruiter of managers.

Fitted straight into the team and never gave less than 100%. Small but strong and stocky, gave as good as he got and had dynamite in his boots. Most of his penalty awards were no brainers with only a few debatable, if you want dodgy penalties check out Rodney Marsh.

My abiding memory is his infectious giggle and cheeky face.
Just look at his face, look at his face

My first hero.

There's a brilliant clip somewhere if him diving whilst arguing with the refeee possibly Kirkpatrick & another if him hiding the ball under his shirt.

Scored the first goal u ever saw live v Coventry towards the end of 70/71...it was either a retaken pen or a second one that was awarded.

Being young I was fucked off when he looked so happy scoring for Derby.

Franny was a magnificent player for us, on the wing or at centre forward. Fast,direct,stocky,pugnacious with a tremendously powerful shot.

Fitted in straight away in Joe’s 1967 team, taking no shit from the henchmen of the day, he got his retaliation in first !! An integral part of a great,great team who swept all afore them for 5 years.

His performance in the League Cup Final agin WBA was one of the finest by any City player in history....he simply refused to be beaten despite being kicked from pillar to post on a farm yard pitch.

Most of the penalties he scored were for fouls on other players....fact.

A hell of a player in his era.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.