Franny Lee as chairman

Gave us Rocky and that wanktastic dribble to setup a goal in his first match.

Meant well but we’ll out of his death. My old mans favourite City player.

His only blot for me was Alan Fucking Ball.

The love in for Franny turned the opposite quite quickly the protests outside Maine Road were unseen before and since. His biggest mistake was Alan Ball who somehow united 4 sides of the Victoria Ground Stoke in loud chants of Alan Ball is a wxxxxx
I always respected Franny for what he tried to do. Owners subsequently also need bottomless pockets which Franny never had, it turned out well in the end but this part of the rollercoaster is best left as distant history.

'The only way is up'...….but we went down......twice....

You have to give credit to Brian Horton and maybe even Peter Reid and Howard Kendal. Under Swales the club was a mess and falling way behind. Kendall bought some players that were probably not want the fans wanted but maybe what we needed (then f'd off back to everton). Reid did ok with us (5th placed finish when off the field we going backwards). Brian Horton could have just bought a load of journey men and tried to grind out 40 points every year but in reality we started to play much better football and although we flirted with relegation we were capable of giving anyone a match and had some very exciting players (Beagrie, Walsh, Rosler). So Swales last managerial appointments were not that bad.

Franny came in and I think we were over achieving on the pitch, he kept Horton on for a while even though we were in relegation scraps. The next manager was going to be crucial. We all know what happened next.

Great great player !
City through and through so ive always give Franny the benefit of the doubt as chairman but in truth (for what ever reason) his tenure was a poor one .

still a hero to me and always will be just because he tore the rags apart on most occasions he played against them.

Alan ball
Was a **** with his old team mates.
Went for a vanity buy in kinky instead of what we needed to stay up.
The new kippax which was shite.

Despite being a playing legend I doubt he is a100% blue, but then I could be wrong

Too young to have seen him play for us.

And let's be honest when old berts talk about our chequered past a few decades ago swales, though reviled is also remembered, no one talks about Lee

Last edited:
You have to give credit to Brian Horton and maybe even Peter Reid and Howard Kendal. Under Swales the club was a mess and falling way behind. Kendall bought some players that were probably not want the fans wanted but maybe what we needed (then f'd off back to everton). Reid did ok with us (5th placed finish when off the field we going backwards). Brian Horton could have just bought a load of journey men and tried to grind out 40 points every year but in reality we started to play much better football and although we flirted with relegation we were capable of giving anyone a match and had some very exciting players (Beagrie, Walsh, Rosler). So Swales last managerial appointments were not that bad.

Franny came in and I think we were over achieving on the pitch, he kept Horton on for a while even though we were in relegation scraps. The next manager was going to be crucial. We all know what happened next.

I agree re: the 3 x managers you mention. It was just that Franny started with the 'Only way is up' song and it didn't exactly go to plan. He did what he did and you can't argue with it, we'd all do the same if we didn't quite fancy the man in charge and thought we had a mate who could do the job. Unfortunately when the guy in charge has earnt a bit of respect from the fans and his replacement is 'Mr. Relegation' you're going to look a bit of a t**t when it all goes wrong......

Alan ball
Was a **** with his old team mates.
Went for a vanity buy in kinky instead of what we needed to stay up.
The new kippax which was shite.

Despite being a playing legend I doubt he is a100% blue, but then I could be wrong

Too young to have seen him play for us.

And let's be honest when old berts talk about our chequered past a few decades ago swales, though reviled is also remembered, no one talks about Lee

Swales was running a 70's era model into the 90's. The club just wasn't moving forward under him. Franny Lee took on years of under investment and picked a bad manager. It nearly killed us but in all honesty we would have gone down eventually under Swales.

Credit goes to Bernstein, Wardle and co who made some bold decisions and started us on the road back. People think the modern city started to emerge from 2008 but in reality the club transformed more from 1998 - 2008 than it did from 2008-2018.

Lee was a brilliant player. He made a huge mistake appointing Ball, and the other problem was that, although rich by most people's standards, he wasn't nearly rich enough to turn round City after God knows how many years of Swales's neglect. Plus he probably lacked a bit in what was needed a Chairman in a right awkward time. There's no great shame in that.

In a nutshell, he cleaned a bit of the shit up but his shovel wasn't nearly big enough. A bit like tidying up a neglected stable with a teaspoon.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.