Freezing Fresh Food

kenzie115

Does fresh food lose any of its nutrients when frozen?

I'm talking about buying fresh food, in particular meat, bringing it home and then freezing it, as opposed to buying already frozen food.

We have taken to buying a bulk order from a butchers in Flixton every so often and freezing most of it.

I can't answer if the nutritional content is affected but I can't taste the difference between the stuff we eat on the day it arrives and the stuff that gets frozen.

And it pisses all over the "fresh" meat from the supermarket.

Peas are frozen within an hour of picking to lock in the nutrients, so would assume its a good thing. Best to freeze as soon as poss so its fresh as it can be

kenzie115 said:
Does fresh food lose any of its nutrients when frozen?

I'm talking about buying fresh food, in particular meat, bringing it home and then freezing it, as opposed to buying already frozen food.

Always buy fresh then freeze, some frozen chickens can be 4yrs old (4 yrs frozen) or more..
at least if fresh you know how long its been frozen,put a freeze date label on it so you know.

andyhinch said:
paphos-mcfc said:
Fresh is best.
Mate you'll know the technicalities better than me, but the speed of freezing makes a big difference from my understanding, to quality if not nutreants

Short time freezing is ok with any meat, but anything over 8 months to a year has effects on quality. And yes mate, used to work with blast freezers for frozen meals years ago. That was to do with H&S rather than quality though. Short term, no noticeable effects.

Some foods freeze better than others. And even when it's frozen it is still slowly deteriorating so if you leave it too long it's worse. Fish is miles better fresh but a lot of "fresh" fish Innthe supermarket is weeks old. Lamb freezes well. Chicken and steak don't. They're passable out the freezer but not anything like as good in my opinion. In some food, like scallops or good steak, a lot of the flavour leaches out with the moisture that pools up as it thaws.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.