Frejus French Riviera

Never stayed there but well positioned to explore, don't just do the coast, get inland some wonderful mountain villages, get a few good guide books and restaurant guides, the back streets of Monaco have some good restaurants at resonable prices

Amazing place with great beaches, been going for years. Follow the coastal road and visit ST Maxime, further around that coastal road make sure you visit Port Grimaud for an evening meal. If your going to St Tropez don't drive it's a nightmare. Park at Port Grimaud or St Maxime and get a boat across.

Another must is Gassin, drive up the mountain to where the actual village is and the restaurants are possibly the finest you could ever eat at.

Drop me a PM if you need more detail. I've been going for many years and know the whole area as good as Manchester.

ive been a few times mate,nice little place,got its on beach,not massive but clean.s andyhinch said,its great to use as a base to see other places

Just back from a visit to Eze thus afternoon. A hill top town, very pretty. We drove the moyenne Corniche from Nice. You have to drive that or the upper or lower Corniches as well. Intended to get to Menton but a big traffic jam just after Eze made us turn round.

St Paul De Vence is another gorgeous hill top walled town but a bit Disney now with every shop virtually an art gallery. Still well worth a visit as is the Maeght Foundation art gallery. I put a pebble on Chagalle's tomb yesterday. There's a restaurant here, Le Colombe d'Or, where Picasso, Matisse, Chagalle's, et al paid for meals with paintings. The artworks are on the walls of the dining room to this day.

The riviera train is a great way of seeing all the small towns along the coast from Nice to Menton or even Italy.

I am currently staying in Vence just around the corner From Dick and the dog (Richard and Judy) so I am told and Andrew Neil has a gaffe here if you want to go (very) minor celebrity spotting.

Biot and Grasse are worth a visit too.

Cagnes Sur Mer is a much friendlier place than Nice in my opinion.

Villefranche Sur Mer is a secluded deep water bay that is deep enough for US navy ships to visit. It has a fascinating history to find out about.

Antibes has a great Picasso museum, and Graham Green's flat, which looks just like one you'd see in Wythenshawe, has a plaque to announce its provenance.

You should get to some vineyards to sample the rose and buy some to take home.

I don't know your travel plans but if you are stopping over on the way down the Ibis Styles hotels are consistently good and very reasonable. Some of the other brands are bloody awful!

We've stayed at La Baume campsite, it's a big site with a nice pool complex. A big waterpark is only 5 minutes drive near the sea. If your exploring towards St Maxime and Port Grimaud get up and out early. The coastal road gets rammed and very slow moving.

Heading here in June and wondering if any mooners have been & if so, what do they recommend to do and or avoid
Cheers

Take the mountain road into Nice (route de bagnols i think) Stunning drive.
Visit 'Roseys' cafe (down a dirt road opposite La Baume camping) for best pizza in the world
Go along the coast road and explore the hidden beaches
Also got an excellent Mr Muebles and Bricolage..

Went to Port Grimaud a long, long time ago (Forest won European Cup) in a bar I was in. We had great time, hope you bring back lots of memories too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.