From Francis, Tueart and Hutchison to Chris Jones, Bodak and Terry Park 81-83

Bond's era had a heavy whiff of short termism about it though and so it proved.
I'm with you on that mate, it can be rightfully argued he bought experience in every department with Hutch, Gerry and Bobby to play alongside some very good younger players and steady the ship, which it did, one of my favourite periods of being a City fan in fact, but there just didn't seem to be a definitive action plan to go on from that and it just turned into it just delaying the inevitable really.

On paper the team 1976-78 had the potential to become better then 1968-1972 . What do you think.

On paper the team 1976-78 had the potential to become better then 1968-1972 . What do you think.
It definitely had the potential in my view to have won more than it did. A match between the 2 teams would I think have been pretty close but ultimately I think the 68-72 team might have had more goals in it.
But once you lose a player of the calibre and goals of King Colin without even vaguely trying to replaces him then eventually that will tell.
With a fit Bell, I think we would have won the league in 76-77 (undoubtedly) and would therefore have been in the European Cup. Who knows how far we might have gone with a kind draw?
We got really close to getting replay at Leeds in the Cup and could have gone to the QF and beyond.
In 77-78 Forest were so fast out of the traps and then Dennis left half way through the season and all we could do was make Europe. We got unlucky draws in the cups but had a massive cock up vs Lodz. Again, I fancies us to go further and we should have won that from 2-0 up in the home leg but by gum that 77-78 side pre xmas was really exciting....and then the King returned on Boxing Day but alas not the same.
We know what happened in 78-79

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.