Fruit trees

Chris in London

Last year my fruit trees were a complete waste of time. Leaves gobbled by black fly, bugger all fruit, generally crap.

This year looks like it is going to be phenomenal. I have got a lot of fruit growing on my cherry trees and the pear and apple trees are looking like they will produce their best ever harvests. The leaf growth is phenomenal and there is nary a cherry black fly in sight.

I pruned the fruit trees back quite heavily in February, something I don't usually do. Am I seeing the results of that, or is everything just better after last year's abysmal showing?

Note to mods - popcorn cat may be released from this thread for other duties

Chris in London said:
Last year my fruit trees were a complete waste of time. Leaves gobbled by black fly, bugger all fruit, generally crap.

This year looks like it is going to be phenomenal. I have got a lot of fruit growing on my cherry trees and the pear and apple trees are looking like they will produce their best ever harvests. The leaf growth is phenomenal and there is nary a cherry black fly in sight.

I pruned the fruit trees back quite heavily in February, something I don't usually do. Am I seeing the results of that, or is everything just better after last year's abysmal showing?

Note to mods - popcorn cat may be released from this thread for other duties

I had the exact same problem with my Cherry tree last year the black flys however ruined every single fruit on the tree! (it is planted near an ivy hedge so I think this is part of the problem). This year I am giving the tree a weekly spray of Westland's 'Plant Rescue' formula and so far so good!

The tree has good foilage now - do think it would be possible to prune back the leaves now or is it too late?

I have an apple tree in the same garden and never have a problem. Weird.

I have 2 apple trees,one in sun and one in shade,the one in sun takes a rest every 2-3 of years the other one has given me loads of apples every year no problem,i think they have natural cycles,and depends where they are in the garden.Had a pear tree but the squirrels destroyed it

Our orchard and forest garden trees are much better this year. The late spring will have done them the power of good. The blossom has been great, and the recent warm days will have helped pollinators. Last year's crap weather killed many pollinating insects (alas, including many of our bees) so this would certainly be major factor in last year's poor top fruit harvest.

If you're using chemical pesticides then stop, because our pollinators need all the help they can get. Look at bio-pest control measures or companion planting instead. Much better for your trees.

-- Fri May 31, 2013 6:43 pm --

TGR said:
I had the exact same problem with my Cherry tree last year the black flys however ruined every single fruit on the tree! (it is planted near an ivy hedge so I think this is part of the problem). This year I am giving the tree a weekly spray of Westland's 'Plant Rescue' formula and so far so good!

The tree has good foilage now - do think it would be possible to prune back the leaves now or is it too late?

I have an apple tree in the same garden and never have a problem. Weird.

Don't prune mature cherry trees until June-July, or after fruiting. They aren't like apples and need different pruning routines or you risk disease spread. Same goes for plums and gages.

Blackfly hate soap, so stick some fairy liquid in a spray bottle with water and treat the tree with that.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9-fsnNW4Aw[/youtube]

Apple tree is great, too many if anything. I have a pear tree as well, but no pairs, unfortunately. I also have a grape vine, but the grapes are absolutely awful<br /><br />-- Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:20 am --<br /><br />
BimboBob said:
Due to a slight disagreement with the missus my plums last year were more bruised looking than their natural colour.

How do I ensure I don't have a repeat performance this year?

For an entire year? Were they seeded properly?

Seems like fruit is doing well generally this year.

Wonder if we will see lower prices in the shops.

<waits with baited breath>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.