Fulham (A) | PL | Post-Match Thread

What happened today was very interesting, and a lesson for the lads. It showed that a mid-table team, at the end of the season and with absolutely nothing to play for, still want to scrap with us. Why? Because we're the incumbent champions. If they had equalised, believe it, the players and the entire stadium would have celebrated that as if they'd actually won a trophy.
That's how it will often be in this run-in. That we negotiated it is as important to me as the victory over the Arse. We did have nine shots on target, to be fair, and hit the woodwork. We should have put the game comfortably to bed. We didn't. That happens. What then counts is character, determination, sheer bloody mindedness. We can do that game too. This was not another Forest. That's the only important thing for me.

The pressure on Arsenal is now huge. Any kind of cock-up against Chelsea — and even a draw against them would be a cock-up — would be hugely damaging. We'd still be top, and with two games over them. I'm expecting them to win, and comfortably.
In any case, we now have two games at home. I believe the Hammers game will be another scrap. Could be a banana skin. A draw is certainly possible. I'd be astonished if we didn't take the three points against Leeds. The Arse, by contrast, have to now go to Saint James's Park. I'd be as astonished if they won there, as if we got anything other than a win against Leeds.
But ok, it's football. Strange things happen. I'm only talking about plausible outcomes here.
For the moment… we're at the wheel.
Chelsea wont lie down....London derby.

Was impressed with Fulham's pressing

Not many got pass marks but the boys certainly fight for each other

Rest and fight

Big big win ,had to good chances and some top saves,fulham had 1 effort on target,but yess felt nervy that 1 today but i think thats normal,back too etihad now for 2 games an lets see if gooners slip up

Big, big, win that.
That's the worst City have played since Forest - the game after we last beat Arsenal. Same pattern too.
The Fulham keeper and wasteful finishing keeps them in it then as the second half progresses they get more into the game whilst the City defence makes some pretty dire mistakes.
Pep then gets his subs right and City see out the game (a key difference than with the Forest game).
A lot of City players looked like they were running on empty in that second half.
The moral of the story is two fold:
- It's easier to chase than to take and hold a points advantage.
- It's not over till it's over.

The next 5 games games will show how big City's collective cojones are.

Big 3 points. Performance was extremely average. Need to improve on those levels.

Our passing was far too slow and laboured from the back and it filters through the entire side.

Alvarez and Haaland were both very good.

Grealish with his poorest game a while and Mahrez just being Mahrez…can’t be arsed.
Not to mention Ederson with some risky and wild passing.

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola speaking to Match of the Day: "I didn't have any doubt. The game was so tight until the end, we could not expect anything differently. This amount of games is a lot but we knew that after we beat Arsenal at home that winning these types of games is really important. The players behaved amazingly."

On Haaland becoming the first player top-flight player to score 50 goals in all competitions since 1931: "Before Winston Churchill was Prime Minister? Wow. Sounds a long time ago. Congratulations to Erling. The best goals to help us achieve what we want still is there."

On responding to Fulham's goal: "We responded really well. The momentum was there, we were playing good. It was not easy because they defended really well, inside it was so difficult. Marco prepared really well. It was not so quick because the pitch was so dry for both sides. In general it was a good performance, knowing the opponent and knowing where we came from."

On Julian Alvarez: "He made the penalty, not just the goal. Evey time he plays it's massive. Today the goal was extraordinary. We have incredible striker honestly."

On if it was a nervy performance: "It was quite similar to Nottingham Forest. There we had more chances than today. We had good moments, they didn't create much, we didn't create many opportunities. The result was tight and it was always open."

On going top of the table: "It's important but on Tuesday Arsenal will play. The important is the West Ham game, it's a game in hand. After that we'll be top of the table and it will be more real."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.