Further To The Coffee Thread

pee dubya said:
There is a technique to cafetierre coffee, but you have to use a rougher grind than Lavazza Espresso, you can still get a good, strong cup of coffee from it, i just find it's a bit less consistent than a stove top (and isn't as strong).

The most common mistake is to use boiling water, which is a disaster, burns the coffee and makes it bitter. The water has to be at the right temperature, i can;t tell you what it is, it's a trial and error/instinct thing. Pour a small amount of water onto the coffee grounds, stir and let it steep for a while (10 seconds maybe). If you have good quality, fresh coffee that'll produce a nice thick creamy foam layer that you don't get from a stove-top. Then you pour the rest of the water in slowly and let it brew for about 4 minutes. I also find a lot of people are too stingy with the amount of coffee they put in, the packets say a spoonful per person or something, i go for 2 spoons per person. Once coffee is brewed you can always dilute it, but you can't make it stronger.

Some good advice here, lots of people go wrong with cafetieres. Think 80 degrees is generally accepted as the optimal temperature for coffee, any higher and it burns, lower than that it doesn't steep as well. As for proportion, in a small cafetiere it's about 4 tablespoons, 8 for a regular sized one, and 12 for a huge one (regualr being the 1litre capacity ones)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.