Gabriel Jesus - 2016/17 Performances - Palmeiras win the league title

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst I wish Gabriel Jesus all the best and hope his signing bears fruit, I look at his stats v kelichi and wonder if we have another Robinho. He played almost a full season in Brazil yet scored (only ?) 16 goals in 45 appearances. Kelichi has 11 in 33 occasional appearances. I hope his transfer fee does not automatically put him ahead of kelichi in the pecking orde. Kelichi has proved he can get one goal in three games in what is supposed to be the toughest league in the world. Jesus has to prove it too, before we put him on a pedistal. Well done to the academy and good luck to Jesus. But I wonder whether the fee could have been better spent.

Football isn't played with calculators. How many times have you seen him play?

I question how much time off he really needs. Does he need the mental break from football, or is it just a physical thing where we want him to not get overplayed?

If he doesn't need a mental break, then I'm sure we could have him taking part in tactics sessions, doing the video analysis stuff, and integrating into the team while still giving him a light enough work load so as to let him physically recover.

He could be training with the team and still physically recuperating, the same way injured players are brought back to fitness but whilst still keeping up with all the tactical stuff. To be honest if he just trained like a normal player but didn't play games for the first 3 weeks he'd be getting a very decent rest by a football players standard.

True. He's only 19 years old after all and just taking part in training will allow him to bed in nicely.

On the mental side I'd be surprised if he didn't think a break was needed. He's had a huge year for club and country and that will have taken a lot out of him emotionally. Moving across to play PL football is arguably his biggest challenge now and we need his full focus.

I hope we are rushing him along and I hope we put enough faith in him to give him opportunities as quickly as possible. ONLY if Pep thinks and believes he's ready for it. I'm probably expecting way too much from the young man but I'm not worried about burnout or fatigue at all. I see a passion for football and desire to be special that I'm not sure I've seen before. He's on an incredible high with amazing confidence at the moment. If he comes in and wants to prove himself and feels he's ready then why slow him down? Let's take the optimistic approach and show him the faith we have in him IMO.

I hope we are rushing him along and I hope we put enough faith in him to give him opportunities as quickly as possible. ONLY if Pep thinks and believes he's ready for it. I'm probably expecting way too much from the young man but I'm not worried about burnout or fatigue at all. I see a passion for football and desire to be special that I'm not sure I've seen before. He's on an incredible high with amazing confidence at the moment. If he comes in and wants to prove himself and feels he's ready then why slow him down? Let's take the optimistic approach and show him the faith we have in him IMO.

You must've missed Pep's comments. He's said he needs a holiday before he comes to play and that will be as long as Jesus needs.

Pep said he hasn't had a holiday in three years and won't be rushing him.

A very sensible long-term approach.

You must've missed Pep's comments. He's said he needs a holiday before he comes to play and that will be as long as Jesus needs.

Pep said he hasn't had a holiday in three years and won't be rushing him.

A very sensible long-term approach.

I missed that. Thanks for the update. That's perfectly fine as well.

Whilst I wish Gabriel Jesus all the best and hope his signing bears fruit, I look at his stats v kelichi and wonder if we have another Robinho. .

I think you need to put Robinho's performances into the context of where City were at the time he played for us

I think you need to put Robinho's performances into the context of where City were at the time he played for us

Exactly, 14 goals from the wing was a good return, compared to the two seasons before where our top scorers were Elano(8 goals in 07/08) and Barton(6 goals in 06/07)..Shows you just what a prolific team he was coming into, how dare he not score at least 25 with the talent he had surrounding him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.