Garden Birds and wild birds thread.

That’s great Sadds.
I have a garden room where I sit in and watch the birds on the feeders.
Unfortunately, having read my original post a few years ago, much of what was common in my back garden is no longer around.
I don’t see any of the finches at all. Siskin gone also. Nothing eating the Niger Seeds at all.
Still have great and blue tits but the Coal Tit has been nowhere to be seen.
Thrush- very infrequent.
Dunnocks gone.
Haven’t seen a wren in a long time although they are listed as one of the most numerous.
They are secretive by nature.

Sparrows - yes.
Blue and Great tits - yes. Blues seem to be staying permanently while the Greats raised a whole family and haven’t been seen since.
Starlings - sometimes.
Wood Pigeons- unfortunately yes.
Magpies - unfortunately yes.
Sea gulls- appear as if by magic if you put anything out on the lawn. In out and gone again.

I know there’s a sparrow hawk around but that’s seen only very fleetingly.

The robin is a year round resident but even he is not as frequent or dominant as he used to be.
That’s a shame. We are lucky on the east coast as we get migrants as well as natives. The waxwing are particularly impressive and can hoover a Rowan tree of berries in a matter of minutes.

Yippee, the number of butterflies seen in our garden this year just doubled from 1 to 2. A white in June and a red admiral today. That will keep me busy with the butterfly census return.

Got woken up at 4.30 this morning by some Big Horned owls, I could see them lined up on the telegraph poles, they were doing a raid on the Robins who are nested up all over the place, lots of squawking. Walked out the house this morning and there was an Oriole on the hummingbird feeder
Not old Ripkin again ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.