Garden Birds and wild birds thread.

When we lived in Catalonia I got talking to a hunter who had 2 Harris hawks...I asked him a few questions etc as you do and before long I had a gauntlet on with one of these birds on my arm...what happened next can only described as utter fucking stupidity on my behalf. I put a tiny piece of chicken on my nose and let this bird peck it off. I was shitting myself in a really strange way knowing the damage this bird could do but I didn't feel a thing and remembered looking into its eyes, they were almost hypnotic. God only knows why I did it but it was a very special feeling, one I'll remember for ever.

When we lived in Catalonia I got talking to a hunter who had 2 Harris hawks...I asked him a few questions etc as you do and before long I had a gauntlet on with one of these birds on my arm...what happened next can only described as utter fucking stupidity on my behalf. I put a tiny piece of chicken on my nose and let this bird peck it off. I was shitting myself in a really strange way knowing the damage this bird could do but I didn't feel a thing and remembered looking into its eyes, they were almost hypnotic. God only knows why I did it but it was a very special feeling, one I'll remember for ever.
You think that was crazy you should try holding out a handful of corn to 4 hungry chickens...

Yes, they are lovely. Was fishing a cove in Florida last year. Kept inches it's way closer and finally had him taking shrimp out of my hand.
.View attachment 43588View attachment 43589
I think that is the Great Egret. I see quite a few Egrets whilst out fishing, mostly Little Egrets. But we do have Great Egrets here ourselves, although i don't think I've spotted one yet. I may have seen one but if I have I've probably mistaken it for a Heron. I've read they were once on our endangered species list but have since become more common nowadays which is nice to see.

I think that is the Great Egret. I see quite a few Egrets whilst out fishing, mostly Little Egrets. But we do have Great Egrets here ourselves, although i don't think I've spotted one yet. I may have seen one but if I have I've probably mistaken it for a Heron. I've read they were once on our endangered species list but have since become more common nowadays which is nice to see.
You have a lot of Loons :)

I wasn't aware which type it was so I did a quick search. Going off the size guide and pic it looks to me it's more likely a Snowy Egret

That looks a lot like Destin.

No, it's by Lovers Key near Bonita Springs

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.