Garden Birds and wild birds thread.

My cat is scared of magpies and jays. Keeps well clear.
They actually circle my cat and then launch little darting attacks at her - she just sits there and shakes - with that sort of behaviour and and living in this area they're probably West Ham supporters..............

When we lived in Catalonia I got talking to a hunter who had 2 Harris hawks...I asked him a few questions etc as you do and before long I had a gauntlet on with one of these birds on my arm...what happened next can only described as utter fucking stupidity on my behalf. I put a tiny piece of chicken on my nose and let this bird peck it off. I was shitting myself in a really strange way knowing the damage this bird could do but I didn't feel a thing and remembered looking into its eyes, they were almost hypnotic. God only knows why I did it but it was a very special feeling, one I'll remember for ever.
MV5BMjE0Nzg0OTUzM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTQwNDc3NA@@._V1_.jpg

For years the swallows here arrived on about 8th May. Last year they were two weeks late. Same happening now, don’t know why. Obvs not late in Lancs.
i believe the migratory path has had some quite bad weather this season, and the UK has had a lot of northerlies this spring as well. I dont see many this spring though, but certainly some for ~ 3 weeks. Why you havent got any though, i dont know.

We've had an open-front net box about 1.2m off the floor in the corner of the garden for for about 5 years and it's never been used until about 10 days ago when a pair of Robin's spent 5 days building a nest in it. on the 6th day there was a single egg in it; the following day two. Third day we couldn't see how many eggs there were because there was a bird on the nest, tucked right down in the corner with just its tail feathers sticking up. Chances are that it's 3 eggs.

We're expecting the eggs to hatch in the next 10 days or so, and all being well the chicks should be getting ready to venture out of the nest a couple of weeks after that. We do see the Robins tagging in and out of the nest occasionally, and they are super cautious. If there are other birds nearby they don't tend to enter the nest until it's clear.

Really looking forwards to them hatching.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.