Gareth Barry or Nigel de Jong

vbr

Something has to change in central midfield. Think they're both too similar and it's restricting our tempo in the middle of the park.

de Jong and Barry playing together:
Too slow
Heavy first touches
Passing range at the moment is either backwards to the full-back or centre back
After a backwards pass they then expect Kompany/Lescott/Toure/whichever CB is playing to burst out from the back into midfield and pick a forward pass

Barry's signature moves every match:
Play himself into a tough spot, back into opposition player then flop on his belly and hope the whistle goes
Ball played into feet, heavy first touch, has to bust a gut to reach the ball again, takes another 5 touches to bring it under control then either hoof it long or play it backwards

de Jong's signature moves every match:
Overhead kick anywhere in his own half and hope it's a decent clearance
Dive in mostly with two feet and somehow keeps getting away with it

One of them needs dropping to the bench. Playing them together just isn't working.

Tad harsh. They're both excellent players but I do agree something needs changing, whether it's personel or tactics.

A little harsh, they aren't as 'bad' as you make out! if we had a
box to box, tall, fast, strong, influential central midfielder I think these two guys would
look a he'll of a lot better! Michael Johnson is our only central midfielder in the squad and he's injured and we have nobody to take his place!

I'd say De Jong will be more important for us long term so if I had to choose i'd say him!

How about Barry playing in a more advanced position?
He's got a decent shot, I remember him scoring quite a few goals for Villa

vbr said:
Something has to change in central midfield. Think they're both too similar and it's restricting our tempo in the middle of the park.

Too slow
Heavy first touches
After a backwards pass they then expect Kompany/Lescott/Toure/whichever CB is playing to burst out from the back into midfield and pick a forward pass

Play himself into a tough spot, back into opposition player then flop on his belly and hope the whistle goes
Ball played into feet, heavy first touch, has to bust a gut to reach the ball again, takes another 5 touches to bring it under control then either hoof it long or play it backwards

One of them needs dropping to the bench. Playing them together just isn't working.

Barry for me but for games like today both - horses for courses

vbr said:

Too slow
Heavy first touches

Just goes to show that fans do talk shit and know nothing about football!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.