Gary Neville

You tried to dismiss modern day racism and the reaction to it as "over the top" by comparing it to the old days.
I didn't dismiss anything other than the implication that its now rife in football crowds again, it really isn't. Its abhorent whether its once a season, or at every game, every week (which incidentally at a low level it probably is).

In any group of people there will be racists, the proportion now is considerably less than it was 30+ years ago (or at least they are less vocal), anyone who thinks it can be ever be eradicated is deluding themselves.

I think it goes without saying everyone wants the perpetrator strung up by his bollox. Does anyone know if he has been caught? Surely in that stadium the cctv will pick him out. He will be banned, get a criminal record and lose his job.

Must be totally ignorant.
You would hope that, as with the guy at the derby, he’ll be identified and punished if he has done what’s being alleged.

I think some people are letting their dislike of another person based on their career choices cloud their judgement in what this person points to.

He’s right, I never once found myself disagreeing with anything he said. I think some of the people calling him thick need more weight to their argument. Ad hominem attacks normally backfire.

I think some people are letting their dislike of another person based on their career choices cloud their judgement in what this person points to.

He’s right, I never once found myself disagreeing with anything he said. I think some of the people calling him thick need more weight to their argument. Ad hominem attacks normally backfire.
I can understand fully why people dislike Neville as he is, more often than not, a bit of a dickhead. Calling him thick is ridiculous though, as he’s clearly a fairly bright guy. Dismissing his opinions on the basis of who he used to play for would be absurd.

I can understand fully why people dislike Neville as he is, more often than not, a bit of a dickhead. Calling him thick is ridiculous though, as he’s clearly a fairly bright guy. Dismissing his opinions on the basis of who he used to play for would be absurd.

Im a dickhead, he’s a dickhead, we’ve all been dickheads at some point or other. I can understand the dislike, though some people must get some sort of pleasure from it as they’re so keen to shout it every time his name crops up.

However, I feel that in this instance, the absurd is certainly happening. And I agree, he seems like a bright guy on the whole.

The only slightly negative thing I'll say about Neville is that I felt he was very happy to give another big speech about racism after his post-derby one went down so well.

And while I agreed with everything he said, so I'm happy to hear him say it, if he wants to position himself as an anti-racism spokesman in football, he's gonna have to take it seriously and start using his massive platform to do something as well as speak out post-match. Follow up with the PFA/FA/Premier League, speak to people dealing with these things. We all know he's got the connections to do so, and if in 2 months time there's another incident and he just gives the same speech and has nothing new to add, it's going to start to ring hollow.

I just find it bizarre that anyone’s response to this incident would be to criticise Neville rather than condemn the perpetrator.

Principally, I don't disagree with Neville. I think a mountain is developing from a mole hill, is all.

The only slightly negative thing I'll say about Neville is that I felt he was very happy to give another big speech about racism after his post-derby one went down so well.

And while I agreed with everything he said, so I'm happy to hear him say it, if he wants to position himself as an anti-racism spokesman in football, he's gonna have to take it seriously and start using his massive platform to do something as well as speak out post-match. Follow up with the PFA/FA/Premier League, speak to people dealing with these things. We all know he's got the connections to do so, and if in 2 months time there's another incident and he just gives the same speech and has nothing new to add, it's going to start to ring hollow.
True, but I don’t think we should underestimate what he did today. I can’t recall another pundit openly questioning his employer in that way so I don’t think it was some trite gesture. He openly challenged the presenter when he said these weren’t the views of Sky Sports. Fair play for that. It could feasibly cause him to lose his job but he said it regardless.

27.8 Million fans at games last season (PL/EFL) with 422 reports of racism and that includes grass roots football whose attendances are not counted in.

I will leave it to the statistical experts to work that out.

422 too many before someone tries to call me a fucking racist once again!

Firstly, you're not a racist, just want to get that out of the way.

Thanks for the stats, I do like a stat.

As I said originally in my first reply to you is that the bigger problem and the number we should be focusing on is the 103,000 hate crimes that happened last year. That's what's fuelling these incidents at football.

They're not tribal, they're about race. They're not because of the football team you play for.

My point is and has always been that larger figure in society which is up from 62k in 15/16 is what is fuelling the football occurrences. To say the increases of both don't correlate doesn't make sense to me.

We should use the football occurrences to educate and make that upward trend start going the other way, it's the most followed hobby/sport/interest in the country with the biggest reach hence why I think we need more Neville's.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.