GCSE exams

WNRH

With the news that they are not taking place this year, is this a once in a lifetime opportunity to get rid of them once and for all and replace them with something modern and and representative of all learning levels?

I've never been a fan of exams to determine your next stage in life on subjects that are pointless in the real world.

You can pass English but can't conduct an email with correct grammar and punctuation?
You can pass Maths but can't calculate without using a calculator?

3 years of learning under pressure to cram it all in a 90 min exam? Surely we can think of a better way to educate the next generation?

We are the only major country that sets exams at 16.
Abolish them.

Although got to say I treat email with the disdain the medium deserves when it comes to grammar and punctuation. As I do forums.

We are the only major country that sets exams at 16.
Abolish them.

Although got to say I treat email with the disdain the medium deserves when it comes to grammar and punctuation. As I do forums.

Why is 16 an issue? Would you advocate having them at 15, like say the Republic of Ireland do?

With the news that they are not taking place this year, is this a once in a lifetime opportunity to get rid of them once and for all and replace them with something modern and and representative of all learning levels?

I've never been a fan of exams to determine your next stage in life on subjects that are pointless in the real world.

You can pass English but can't conduct an email with correct grammar and punctuation?

3 years of learning under pressure to cram it all in a 90 min exam? Surely we can think of a better way to educate the next generation?

I think they have only gone back to the exam format in the last few years. Before that they were assessed primarily on course work I think.

the calculator is more for functions and using formulae rather than testing arithmetic I think

Think the department of education may have other things on their mind than coming with a complete new exam and qualification system at this time

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.