General Astronomy Thread [With Pics!]

Re: General Astronomy Picture Thread

foetus said:
Hamann Pineapple said:
[bigimg]http://media.skynews.com/media/images/generated/2012/10/15/198255/default/v1/8692362-1-1-942x530.jpg[/bigimg]

Does anyone know what that big river thing is in the pic? Is it a river??

Also I wonder how much red bull paid to get their logo on his suit

I think I remember during the commentary that they said it was a natural ridge which runs past Roswell and through the New Mexico desert. You can see it on Google Maps.

Red Bull pretty much footed the whole thing and they say it's in line with their regular extreme sport investments so estimates are around $25m-$50m.

That said they stand to make bucket-loads from that one stunt. I've heard estimates of them making anything up to $5 billion.

And all whilst we further the boundaries of the human condition and push forward scientific understanding. Not bad eh?

SkyBlueFlux said:
foetus said:
Hamann Pineapple said:
[bigimg]http://media.skynews.com/media/images/generated/2012/10/15/198255/default/v1/8692362-1-1-942x530.jpg[/bigimg]

I think I remember during the commentary that they said it was a natural ridge which runs past Roswell and through the New Mexico desert. You can see it on Google Maps.

Red Bull pretty much footed the whole thing and they say it's in line with their regular extreme sport investments so estimates are around $25m-$50m.

That said they stand to make bucket-loads from that one stunt. I've heard estimates of them making anything up to $5 billion.

And all whilst we further the boundaries of the human condition and push forward scientific understanding. Not bad eh?

Cheers.

$5 billion. Holy shit!

cheddar404 said:
marco said:
is the old saying true that there are more stars and planets in the universe than grains of sand on every beach in the world,if so i find it hard to beleive we are alone,looking at the mars pics i'm sure if we could dig down deep enough we would find the evidence. just a pity we probably wont get a habitable mars station in our lifetime to give us the proof

Simple maths. We are not alone. There are billions of solar systems within the observable universe. There are almost an infinite number of rolls of the dice if you look at the numbers. The chances are there is someone typing a very similar message on a slightly different messageboard somewhere in the cosmos. Will we ever reach them? Who knows but they are out there.

I think you could say the simple maths + the evidence says the opposite !

According to Fermi's Paradox, simple maths tells us that given the relative age of our solar system to the rest of our galaxy, if intelligent life is prevalent it should have been detected by now, in fact it should be evident all around us.

Not saying there's no possible solution to the paradox of course, just mentioning another point of view on a very interesting topic....

[bigimg]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/10/24/article-2222384-15A7C064000005DC-201_964x724.jpg[/bigimg]

9 GIGAPIXEL zoomable image at the link below

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.eso.org/public/images/eso1242a/zoomable/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.eso.org/public/images/eso1242a/zoomable/</a>

Good night for stargazing tonight even if like me you live less than a mile from the glare of Manchester City centre.

Don't think I can see as many from where I live in a long time.

Evo49 said:
cheddar404 said:
marco said:
is the old saying true that there are more stars and planets in the universe than grains of sand on every beach in the world,if so i find it hard to beleive we are alone,looking at the mars pics i'm sure if we could dig down deep enough we would find the evidence. just a pity we probably wont get a habitable mars station in our lifetime to give us the proof

Simple maths. We are not alone. There are billions of solar systems within the observable universe. There are almost an infinite number of rolls of the dice if you look at the numbers. The chances are there is someone typing a very similar message on a slightly different messageboard somewhere in the cosmos. Will we ever reach them? Who knows but they are out there.

I think you could say the simple maths + the evidence says the opposite !

According to Fermi's Paradox, simple maths tells us that given the relative age of our solar system to the rest of our galaxy, if intelligent life is prevalent it should have been detected by now, in fact it should be evident all around us.

Not saying there's no possible solution to the paradox of course, just mentioning another point of view on a very interesting topic....

Does the paradox cover life in our galaxy only? What about all the others where there will be conditions similar, if not identical, to our own galaxy?

SkyBlueFlux said:
foetus said:
Hamann Pineapple said:

But how exactly will this stunt make them money? Especially $5billion. That's a ludicrous amount of money. There entire turnover is short of that and only $600million in net gains. They have pretty much mastered the market anyway. Effectively anything they do is just advertising.

cheddar404 said:
Damocles said:
Is anybody watching Stargazing these last few days?

Yeah, I've been watching it. Excellent programme. I even got the telescope out for a shufty at Jupiter as it was relatively clear.

I'm contemplating a telescope, where do you put yours up in the garden ? Attic ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.