General Astronomy

All this talk of looking into the past fascinates me.

So if we're looking at distance galaxies that are billions of light years away, where are we on the scale?

Is someone looking at us who are in the next Galaxy with the same perspective?
Are we past, present or future?

Time is relative so we're present. But we're the past for others.

(Don't have a clue).

Sorry for the high school science question but why doesn't the light degrade, tried google but get varying degrees of answers i understand or go above my head...so explain like you are talking to a Rag or Simpleton as it is known in Manc circles

Photons need to impact with other particles to stop or have them degrade don't they?

Edit: quick google shows that they can't degrade.

Fantastic beautiful life on other planets fascinates me the stars are billions of light years away so we’ll never know if we are alone

Nearest star is only 4.2 light years away mate, but your statement still stands IMO because I doubt very much we will ever be able to get there.

Even 4.2 light years is impossible with our present technology unless Einstein had it all wrong and we can go faster than the speed of light.
It makes you realise all the UFO films of Aliens visiting us is interesting but ridiculous.
I listen to Shaun Carroll and Brian Cox purely to understand physic’s but the mind boggles at how complicated it all is.
We are looking back in time to after the Big Bang so now we’re moving further apart they just had someone on Sky to talk about the pic but cut her off to see the Tory leader election

Fantastic beautiful life on other planets fascinates me the stars are billions of light years away so we’ll never know if we are alone

Is this a pic taken from the new Chinese telescope ?

No it's NASA made/owned but also contributions from other space agencies including the european one, ESA.

Current thinking of various astrophysicists is that life, as in Civilisations, will be extremely rare. Less than one per galaxy per many millions/billions of years. There probably hasn't been as advanced civilisation as us within the last billion years in our local galaxy group.

They think this as we detect no radiowave signals.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.