General Astronomy

Anyone explain this? Super moon last night because it was closer to Earth in its orbit of Earth. Why? The moons orbit is influenced by the Earth's gravity, presumably a dropped object accelerates at the same speed if its dropped in the USA or Asia. Which means that the Earth's gravitational pull is the same around the globe. So why isn't the moons orbit a circle instead of being elliptical?

I don’t think humans’ brains are big enough to imagine the size of the universe

“Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”​

― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just about sums it up.

Does that mean we have been singing the wrong song for 30 years and it should 'Blue Planet you saw me standing alone?' and that doesn't work as we could be singing about planet Earth as well - Shit! now we've got no science as well as no history :-(
Haha! It does, best tell the boss to change the site think I’m disappointed the moon is a planet a fact I must have forgotten

Anyone explain this? Super moon last night because it was closer to Earth in its orbit of Earth. Why? The moons orbit is influenced by the Earth's gravity, presumably a dropped object accelerates at the same speed if its dropped in the USA or Asia. Which means that the Earth's gravitational pull is the same around the globe. So why isn't the moons orbit a circle instead of being elliptical?
Without looking it up, isn't it because of the suns gravity influencing the orbit and making it elliptical?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.