General Space Mission Thread

TCIB

The soyuz will take of at about 7:40, anyone else interested in this ?
Basically it is a launch to test long distance travel in space on the human body.
Coverage to start now.

"A Russian Soyuz rocket will blast off from Baikonur Cosmodrome at 3:42 pm ET (1942 GMT) to kick off an epic mission to the International Space Station: one year in space. The one-year crewmembers - NASA astronaut Scott Kelly and Russian cosmonaut Mikhail Kornienko - will spend the next 12 months as living guinea pigs to see how the human body changes and adapts to ultralong spaceflights, and what it will take to send astronauts to Mars. A third crewmate, cosmonaut Gennady Padalka, will spend a 6-month rotation on the space station."

Last edited by a moderator:
Typical Yanks

late again

The Russians had 3 cosmonauts in space doing just this research for over a year over 10 years ago!

The Mir had missions running for over 12 months a couple of times so although it's not breaking new ground, it will provide some more useful data.

2015 is a huge year for the space business both economically and scientifically. Could be one for the record books this year. Also on this front, I saw that the Dawn spacecraft recorded the highest delta-v ever recorded the other day - around 10.5km/s. Important as it's using a different type of ion engine design that has lots of people very excited and it successfully started orbiting a dwarf planet.

You'll have to forgive the large sized image

DawnIonPropulsionInfographic.jpg

With SpaceX saying they're launching their Falcon Heavy this year, New Horizons reaching Pluto and getting the first proper pictures of it ever and perhaps other stuff such as Philae coming back online or that Venus orbiter getting descent data, it's a bit of an exciting time. The recent economic stumbles and collapses have affected space mission planning in the last decade but they've also had the benefit of refocusing on what exactly is important and what isn't, as well as prompting interest in a large commercial sector. Lots of exciting science getting done.

My personal "favourite" isn't New Horizons as everybody else's seems to be but I've been waiting with bated breath for the James Webb Space Telescope to get up there since it was announced and I saw the specs, yet won't happen until 2018.

Last edited:
Launch was a success, everything seems to have gone as planned and separation is complete.

I have waited all my life for stuff that they made up in cartoons as a kid like "ion thrusters" become a reality.
Makes me feel like a giddy kid. Now i just want to see transformers land here and beat the shit out of each other.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.