Get Kinkladze to Eastlands...

pardoe

As i imagine was the case for many City supporters who watched the club during the misery that was the mid-to-late nineties, one player stood head and shoulders above anyone else in terms of natural ability. It's probaby fair enough to say, in hindsight, that a twinkle-toed playmaker might not have been exactly what we needed at the time, but for three otherwise largely depressing seasons a diminuative and downright special Georgian midfielder got fans on the edge of their seats and left us with some very special memories.

Nowadays, of course, we have new heroes, and good players donning the sky blue are much less of a rarity, but for many of us, Kinkladze will always have a special place in our hearts. I was wondering if, given the sheer numbers of people who use BlueMoon, and the relative influence it carries amongst supporters and with the club, whether we could do something to get Georgi back over, to a game at Eastlands, perhaps the final day fixture against Norwich to show our appreciation? When was the last time we saw him?

Apologies in advance if this seems like a bit of a silly idea, but given his cult status amongst supporters it's unfortunate that we appear to have lost contact with him. It would be brilliant to see him again, and for us to be able to show him how much he meant to us. We've had chance to do it on a number of occasions with the heroes of the Mercer/Allison years, even other well-thought-of players of later times pop up now and again, but Kinky, absolutely loved here, just feels like a bit of a distant memory.

pardoe said:
As i imagine was the case for many City supporters who watched the club during the misery that was the mid-to-late nineties, one player stood head and shoulders above anyone else in terms of natural ability. It's probaby fair enough to say, in hindsight, that a twinkle-toed playmaker might not have been exactly what we needed at the time, but for three otherwise largely depressing seasons a diminuative and downright special Georgian midfielder got fans on the edge of their seats and left us with some very special memories.

Nowadays, of course, we have new heroes, and good players donning the sky blue are much less of a rarity, but for many of us, Kinkladze will always have a special place in our hearts. I was wondering if, given the sheer numbers of people who use BlueMoon, and the relative influence it carries amongst supporters and with the club, whether we could do something to get Georgi back over, to a game at Eastlands, perhaps the final day fixture against Norwich to show our appreciation? When was the last time we saw him?

Apologies in advance if this seems like a bit of a silly idea, but given his cult status amongst supporters it's unfortunate that we appear to have lost contact with him. It would be brilliant to see him again, and for us to be able to show him how much he meant to us. We've had chance to do it on a number of occasions with the heroes of the Mercer/Allison years, even other well-thought-of players of later times pop up now and again, but Kinky, absolutely loved here, just feels like a bit of a distant memory.

agree Pardoe

It's only when you think back that just how much he was the shining light in our time of absolute darkness.
Fuck me we were crap then! The only sliver of hope we had to hang onto was Kinky. I honestly can't think what it would we have been like without him?
A genuine City legend up there with the very best.

The home game against Swindon we hammered them. I think Horlock had just signed. I took a Swindon fan along to watch kinky annihilate them. Horlock played a blinder too which rubbed it in even more. The Swindon fan said it was the best individual performance he'd ever seen.

blueju said:
The home game against Swindon we hammered them. I think Horlock had just signed. I took a Swindon fan along to watch kinky annihilate them. Horlock played a blinder too which rubbed it in even more. The Swindon fan said it was the best individual performance he'd ever seen.

Not hard for a Swindon fan;)

I went to Georgia(the Wife thought we were going to Georgia USA) on holiday 1997 and saw him play against Italy in WC Q.

Only needed to say his name when out there for the sternest face to smile,had a City supporters club going for a while but lost contact when the Russians invaded.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.