getting to the bottom of small cup crowds

This Coont is one reason why many wont be going as often

cameron-1.jpg

To me the answer is simple.

TV

There is an overload of football on the telly, I watched a game from the Northern Irish league on Monday night on Sky!

25 years ago there was one live game in the entire year, the FA Cup Final. it was the biggest footballing day of the year. Now its a side show to the prem / chimps league / eufa etc. Every other game was highlights on MOTD on Saturday evening.

If there was no games on telly, we would have filled Sunday afternoon.

For me it`s 99% money related, stretches me to attend a Europa league game let alone anything else, plus I like to take my lad (who works Saturdays) if I have some spare money and as he lives over an hour away and doesn`t drive it`s 4 hours drive in total plus the £30 petrol, so all told I`m looking in excess of £60 for just a Europa league game.

Like to think we`ve paid our dues over the years though, we were there when we were sh1t and I rarely missed a game from the early 70`s ( my lad from the early 90`s) until 2001 when I got divorced, the reality of it for me is that football/City don`t give a toss if I can pay the mortgage/bills or not, I don`t expect them to, but I`m grateful City lower tickets prices for some matches as at least it gives us a chance, in real terms that £60 plus is the weeks shopping, just a pity that as the good times are about to be upon us, we won`t be there to enjoy it.

Kris_Musampa said:

TV

There is an overload of football on the telly, I watched a game from the Northern Irish league on Monday night on Sky!

25 years ago there was one live game in the entire year, the FA Cup Final. it was the biggest footballing day of the year. Now its a side show to the prem / chimps league / eufa etc. Every other game was highlights on MOTD on Saturday evening.

You have a point Sir

fathellensbellend said:
are cup games too dear?

I think they are reasonably priced (per game) however with there being a fixture congestion due to replays and success this has been problematic financially.

is the hassle of getting tickets too much?

Yes and No.... I find it straightforward buying tickets online, very easy... However this club needs a Ticketing Exchange system where fans can sell tickets for games they cannot attend, and also points would be put onto the seat purchasers account and taken off the original ticket buyer.

would you sooner just watch on the tv?

No, I prefer the atmosphere and the "event" going to the game brings. Tv will never replace this however watching online/tv is much cheaper and I'd much rather eat food/pay bills than watch a football match.
This whole argument of: it's cheaper to buy a ticket than buy pints and cigarettes for the games in the pub - what if you don't smoke or drink? never go into pubs, and Still can't afford to watch football?

does the opposition matter, ie obscure euro teams do nothing for you?

No, Some of my fav games this season i've attended have been against teams who I've never heard of much before.... I found the Juventus home game to be shit, and their support was shit... whereas Lech Poznan - well we all remember that night.

would a cash turnstyle help people make an on the spot decision?

it would, I'm only 14miles away and if say the club realised that attendances where going to be small for a game they could text/email alert fans and we could come down and pay on the doors... an Even better idea would be for users who buy online anyway, placing the CityCard under the scanner and this auto-deposits money from the card details which are already stored on City's servers anyway.... no need for cash.

Billy Spurdle said:
tonea2003 said:
that's fair enough,done it myself
just wish more would be more honest like this!
20'000 missing sunday and quite a lot will be in the can't be arsed camp.
there will of course many genuine reasons for not going, so be it that's the way it is.
the crowd sunday was standard for city v that type of opposition.
we would need years of success to have the sold out signs similar to utd, arse,chavski etc in the lower cup games

I am really struggling with the situation here - you've both got thousands of posts on a City fans' forum yet you still have a "can't be arsed" attitude at times.

Not being judgemental, just don't get it at all.

not sure what you are getting at.. thousands of posts equals a more die hard blue therefore we should be home and away every game?
by that reasoning you are only a semi city fan??
my failing for want of a better word this season was the leicester game, i had actually secured my seat but a combination of events meant i had a excuse to give it a miss and get some brownie points. no doubt if we were playing a top prem team i would of been there despite the above events.
does that help you with your struggle?

are cup games too dear?

I dont think City can do anymore with the pricing but unfortunately for some fans they cannot afford all these cups games, I am lucky and can.

is the hassle of getting tickets too much?

I always call to the ground find it easier. But the calling and internet system is ok but the problem comes when you dont already have a card. Thats a joke just give them a paper ticket FFS

would you sooner just watch on the tv?

Err no next!

does the opposition matter, ie obscure euro teams do nothing for you?

Nope if city are playing Im there!

would a cash turnstyle help people make an on the spot decision?

Not for me but sure it would for others not able to get the tickets easily

Kris_Musampa said:

TV

that would be true if it was across the board but utd,chelsea,arsenal,spurs have pretty much the sold out signs for similar. so what's the difference?
pretty much continued success for them all, less so for spurs but they chip in with a few cups and the ground is smaller but 35/36000 crowd consistantly.

I've not missed a home game for god knows how long, go home and away every week but on sunday I just thought fuck it, i'm not going. If it wasn't a replay I would hve gone but it just pisses me off, I spent all that money going leciester, we was shit and drew but I decided to go to the replay. Then spend all the money going Notts County and again we are shit and can't beat opposition of that standard so I though fuck it, i'm not paying my money out again for it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.